{2}

"Do you ever think, what did he mean by disappear?"

I quickly looked at Jared, my eyes were wide. No I don't want to think about that.

Jared must've noticed my panic, "You don't have to answer. But Ev? You don't think it's suspicious? The fact that he sells his car for money, and commits suicide by drowning?."

I stared at Jared, "No...no no .." I mumble quietly.

"Evan, listen, they never found his body. They've had 2 years to search that small river. And they found nothing."

"That river leads to a lake!" I hiss.

"That's besides the point Evan! They searched that lake, 56 times!" He says.

"What's the point of this? Jared he's dead. He's been dead for 2 years. He's-" I got cut off from a sob.

I buried my face into my crossed arms on the table, crying. I couldn't take this.

"Evan, c'mon man. We're in public." Jared almost whines.

"It's ...your... fault." I say, between my sobs.

"I know," he sighs, "I'm sorry."

It took awhile but I calmed down, I lifted my head slowly and looked at Jared.

"Dude. You look like shit."

"And I feel like shit." I say, smiling a little.

I guess that's been our thing now. Whenever I break down he always says that. Even if I recover quickly. Ever since that day in the hospital.

I wiped at my eyes and groaned, "Ugh now I'm going to have a stuffy nose. God dammit."

Oh yeah, ever since 2 years ago I've started to swear more. It surprised Jared but he quickly adjusted to it. It was weird, I actually felt kinda like an adult whenever I used those words. 'Cuss words' I always called them.

"Haha sucks for you." Jared grins.

"Shut up Kleinman." I mumble, rolling my eyes.

"But Evan.. maybe we can talk about this when I get home. There's something I need to show you."

I wonder what he meant by that. I sniffled and we both waiting in silence for the waitress or waiter to come and get our order.

~~~

Jared and I had just got home. It was around 2 and I should probably get to work. My boss was pretty laid back about lunch hours and stuff.

"Hey Jare? I'm gonna head out to work after I change." I call to him as I walk to my room.

I quickly slipped on a light brown sweater and jeans, grabbed the green apron I wore over and flung it over my shoulder. And no, I don't work at Starbucks, it's a very small cafe and yet still gets a lot of customers.

I walked out of my room and saw Jared in his, typing furiously at his computer.

"I'm leaving for work." I say, leaning against the door frame.

"...Uh yeah yeah.. have fun Leafie." He mumbles, not looking at me.

"Yeah, bye." I say and shake my head a little.

Walking out of the apartment building I hum the tune of a song in my head. I hold tightly onto the apron and my other hand, slightly in my front pocket.

It was only a 5 minute walk to the cafe. Sure the roads weren't that busy but they sometimes were. I usually didn't like walking in crowds but I got used to it.

Soon I arrived there and was welcomed by the warmness and sweet smell of coffee.

"Hey Evan!" I turned and saw my co-worker, Alex.

I smiled at her, "Hey! Um how are you?" I ask smiling.

"Eh, could be better." She shrugs and smiles at me. "How are you?"

"Same as always I guess. Barely living." I shrug and quickly tie the back of my apron thing.

Walking behind the counter I look at the few people in here.

Some girl reading while sipping at coffee, sitting by the window. An older man, also drinking coffee, sitting on the couch we have. And a couple I'm guessing, sitting in the chairs.

The cafe is small but not that small. There's tables set out where you can "dine" on patties and baked goods. Then there's the lounge, where there's a small fire place with 3 chairs around it, and a small table. Then there's two couches facing each other with a table between them. Oh and there's plugs all over the place so people can charge their electronics. Personally I call this place my second home.

"It's just you, me, and Tommy today." Alex says when I walk behind the counter.

"Cool." I say, "I'll work register for the to go'ers. You got dining?"

She shrugged, "Yeah I don't mind it."

I smiled, "Great."

Alex was I guess what you call beautiful. She had silky long brown hair that was bleached at the tips a bright blonde color. She had freckles dancing across her face, and even some on her nose. Her bright green eyes were pretty hard to miss. They reminded me of a meadow. Bright green and full of life.

She flashed me a grin and walked up to the girl reading. They talked for a bit before Alex came back and winked.

I chuckled and rolled my eyes, "You're so weird."

"I prefer quirky." She grins.

I roll my eyes then the door chimes, I quickly look over.

A man in all black, walked in. He had black shades on so I couldn't see his eyes. I sucked in a breath. I felt myself starting to shake. He walked over to me.

He was wearing black jeans and a black shirt, some design on it, with a black leather jacket over. He had darkish brown hair that was pulled in a messy bun.

I let out my breath. My breathing hitched as I stared at him.

"Uh, aren't you gonna ask me what I want?"

I blinked a few times, took a deep breath, "Uh y-yes, yes of course. W-what would you like, sir?"

"Hard black coffee, large please. Oh and a rainbow sprinkled doughnut." He says.

I punch that into the cash register, "That will be, uh.. $8.46."

The man in black handed me a ten dollar bill. I took it with shaking hands and gave him 1.54 in change with a receipt.

"1.54 is your change."

I quickly turn around to get him his coffee and doughnut. When I came back with the large coffee and doughnut (in a small bag) I quickly handed them to him.

"Here you go. Have a nice day." I mumble.

He lifted his sunglasses onto his head and smiled at me, "Thanks."

I quickly realized that it wasn't Connor, of course it wasn't. This man had icy blue eyes.

I awkwardly smiled back, "You're welcome."

He smiled and turned around, walking out of the cafe. I could finally breathe when that small bell stopped chiming.

~~~

~Fro