{8}

I've cried too many times in these past two years. Too many times have I thought about Connor. My dead boyfriend.

I took a deep breath and swallowed down any tears that wanted to make their way down my cheeks. I gingerly handed the lap top back to Jared and quickly grabbed my coffee, drinking the rest of it and standing up.

"Ev-"

I leave the empty cup on the table and quickly stand, cutting off Jared's voice.

"Where are you going?" Alana asks, worry stitched in her voice.

"...T-to my room." I mumble, voice no more than a squeak.

I shuffle away to my room and slam the door. Stiffly walking towards my closet I bite my lip.

Opening my closet with the slight creaking I grab the box, tucked away at the top. Forcing down a sob I opened the box.

The smell instantly attacked me. I welcomed it with open arms and a warm heart. I missed the way he smelt, of smoke and a little of trees. My guess was because he always sat outside, where there were trees. (Obviously)

Folded nice and neat, his clothes sat there. A little dust was at the top layer of clothing. I set the box on my bed and sat there, holding hands to my mouth to not make any noises.

I grabbed the dark gray pullover sweater out of the top of the box and pulled it to my chest. Then I let the tears come.

~~~

"Do you think they're okay?" Alana looked at me, concern clear as day in her eyes.

Shrugging, I stand, "Maybe. I'll go check on Ev. He can get a little... uh... depressed about the whole, Connor topic."

Alana nods, "I'll go check on Zo." She jumps up and bounds away to where the bathroom, and Zoe, were.

I walked to Evan's door and stood there, listening to his silent sobs. I let out a sigh then knock lightly.

"Acorn? Can I come in?"

I hear him sniffle then squeak out a yes.

Opening the door, I step inside then close the door behind me. Evan's room wasn't big. But neither was mine.

It was dark, I only saw him from the moonlight through the window. Taking a step towards him, grief pierces my heart. I always get so sad to see him like this.

Always.

"Evan..?" I sit down next to a open box that smells a lot like Connor.

He only buries his face into a dark gray sweater. Shaking slightly, Acorn let's out a small sob.

"He's ... he's really dead. He's gone..." Evan mumbles.

I bite my lip and look down into the box. Connor's clothes were in there. It was the little bit of clothes he brought over from when me and him were taking care of Evan. When he couldn't walk.

"Y-you had this... his clothes...? This entire time..?" I mumble, looking at all his clothing.

Evan didn't look at me. He only nodded his head in agreement and kept his face buried in Connor's sweater.

"Jared...?" I looked at Evan. His face was still buried.

"Yeah?" I softly say, looking back at Connor's clothes.

"He... Connor, h-he's really... dead...?"

See this is where my, how do I say this? Uh... comforting skills go down the drain.

"...Yeah. I think he's really dead Ev. Not fake. He's really dead. Never coming ba-" I cut myself off.

Idiot! I hiss to myself.

"B-butimeanhe'llliveoninyourheart!" I say really quickly.

Evan finally looked down at me, by lowering the sweater, tears brimming his eyes.

"He's ... dead..." Evan says, as if he was trying the words out for the first time.

I sighed and looked away, "There's nothing I can say, to make you feel any better. But at least know that he's in a better pla- wait... uh, maybe- let's just go with he's happy now. Notthatgewasnthappyhere!"

Evan didn't move at all, didn't make any sounds for a least two minutes. Then he broke the silence.

"You should go... I need to be alone..."

My breath hitched, "Uh.. okay. Yeah, totally. Uh, bye." I mumble, quickly standing and walking out of his room.

I closed the door behind me and walked out into the living room.

1:36 am.

Ugh. My first class tomorrow is at 8.

"Alana? Zoe?" I call.

I heard a shuffling noise from the bathroom and I looked over. The door was still closed. Zoe wasn't sobbing anymore.

Well, at least that's good.

I sat down then saw the finished coffee cups on the table. Shrugging I stand back up and grab the empty cups. Humming the tune to a song I walk to the kitchen and throw the cups away.

Returning to the living room I see Alana and Zoe walking back. I smirk slightly seeing them hand in hand.

"You good?" I ask, watching the two stand in front of me.

Zoe takes a deep breath and wipes at her red cheeks, "Better."

Alana smiles at her. Seriously how are these two not dating yet?

"Okay. So I'm not letting you two drive home."

"But-" Zoe starts.

"No buts. You're sleeping here." I place a finger to her mouth.

She puffs her cheeks and swatted my hand away. I chuckled and crossed my arms over my chest.

"What about school? I have class at 9:30. The drive was over 2 hours." Alana says, looking to the ground before looking at her and Zoe's hands.

I make a tsk noise.

"Oh silly little Alana. You obviously call your college that you're sick. Both of you." I say, pushing my glasses up.

Alana's eyes go wide, "Oh no I can't do that. I've not missed a day of school since 3rd grade. I can't Jared. I-"

Zoe shrugs, "Okay."

"-well if it's okay with Zoe I'm okay with it then." Alana says, closing her eyes.

I broke out into laughter, clutching my stomach hard.

"W-what?! Is something wrong?" Alana says frantically.

Zoe giggles quietly as I manage to stop laughing. I wipe a tear from my eye and place my hand on Alana's right shoulder.

"You never cease to amaze me."

"...Thanks?" Alana says, more like questions.

"Okay well anyways, I got a queen bed. You two can sleep in there. There's room on the floor if you don't want to share a bed." I say, winking at the two (now, very) flustered girls.

"W-what?! Wha-.. uh... um-" Alana stutters.

Zoe's face was already red from the crying so I'm not sure if she was blushing but she looked pretty flustered. Her eyes were slightly wide and she quickly took her hand out of Alana's.

"J-just. Get a sleeping bag. And some pajamas." Zoe says, voice flickering a bit at the beginning.

"Yeah yeah. Fine." I say, turning around walking to the storage, "Make yourself at home in my room."

I hear a sigh, I only grin more.

~~~

~Fro