Chapter 8

"Bonjour, Lance!" called a familiar voice from the other side of the crowded market square. Lance looked up to see his long time friend, Allura, waving at him. The French are supposed to be some of the most beautiful and elegant people in the world, but everyone there paled in comparison to Allura. Her white hair was tied back in a low bun that was loose and left strands of hair hanging around her face, framing it. She was wearing a large chic coat that was the same shade of pale pink as her top and stylish shoes. She completed the ensemble with a pair of well-fitting jeans and oversized sunglasses. She looked like a fashion magazine had sprung to life. Lance however, simply donned a pair of dark jeans with a open button up and a t-shirt on top. This was nicer than anything he'd normally wear, and the sweater (which he'd borrowed from Keith) was actually quite fashionable, but he still looked out of place next to Allura.
"You dressed up for me!"
"I tried," Lance laughed. "I didn't realize I'd be going out with Audrey Hepburn today."
"Oh, you're flattering me! I actually feel dreadfully undressed." Lance just rolled his eyes. "So how have you been? I haven't seen you in forever!"
"It hasn't been that long." Lance said as they walked into the first shop.
"Well it feels like it's been an eternity. You're going to have to catch me up on every little detail. Are you still with that blonde? The model?" Allura was clearly teasing him, but Lance did not feel like joking about his love life.
"No." He replied curtly.
"Sensitive subject?"
"Not particularly, I just don't really feel like talking about my love life."
"You're acting quite suspicious, but I'll respect your wishes." There was a slight uncomfortable pause before Allura picked the conversation right back up. "You might not want to talk about your love life, but my is finally heating up."
"Oh, really? What's the guy like?"
"Incredibly kind, intelligent, and ridiculously attractive."
"How long have you been going with him?"
"Just one formal date, but I've known him for about half a year, and we really just click."
"So you like him a lot?"
"I really do." Allura said bashfully. "He's really amazing. I mean all of his qualities are so enviable. Maybe my crush is clouding my judgement, but I swear he's absolutely perfect!"
"Sounds like Keith." Lance said without even realizing he'd let the cat out of the bag.
"Keith?" A look of horror and humiliation spread across Lance's face when he realized what he had done.
"Yeah, my costar! He's a really stand-up dude! He does charity and stuff!" Lance said, desperately trying to backtrack, but Allura was too smart to fall for it.
"You're blushing! Lance McClain, you are blushing! Explain yourself immediately!"
"There's nothing to explain!"
"You're lying!" Then Allura connected the dots. "Is this why you didn't want to talk about your love life? I bet it is! Oh my gosh! Lance! Why didn't you tell me you had a boyfriend? Is he your boyfriend? Oh my god, I bet you two are the cutest couple on earth!"
"How do you think this soap smells?" Lance said shoving the bar under her nose. "Do you think my mom would like it?"
"Don't try to change the subject!" She said, pushing away the soap. "What is the deal with this Keith person?"
"I told you! He's my costar in He Might Be Gay If...!"
"Lance," Allura said in a calm but stern tone as she turned him so that hey we're face to face, "we can go somewhere more private if you'd like, but you're telling me the whole truth about your relationship with this person." Lance hung his head in defeat.
"Fine."
The two exited the shop, after getting the soap and other trinkets Lance had promised his family, and went to a small ivy covered café across the street. As soon as they sat down, Allura got straight to business.
"Is he your boyfriend?"
"Kinda."
"What do you mean 'kinda'?"
"I don't like labels."
"Does he like labels?"
"I guess."
"Would he call you his boyfriend?"
"Maybe." Allura rolled her eyes.
"How serious is it?"
"Is what?"
"Your relationship!"
"Like... a six?"
"Out of ten?"
"Yeah."
"Lance! You consider this relationship to be that serious but you won't call him your boyfriend!?"
"It's just... I'm... I'm not gay." Allura was silent.
"Okay, and? So that means that you're bi or pan or something. I don't see what the problem is."
Lance got more and more visibly upset as the conversation continued. "There is no problem!" He exclaimed burying his head in his hands. "I'm the problem!"
"Lance..." Allura said softly as he reached out to comfort him. 
"Don't!" He said as he swatted away her hand. "I am the problem! It's all built on lies and bullshit because I can't except the fact that I have feelings for another man!"
"Lance, please calm down, dear."
At this point Lance was fighting back tears. "I've fucked this up past the point of no return! He's eventually gonna find out, and then what? If I think another 'I'm sorry' is gonna work I'm fucking delusional cause-"
"Lance. You need to calm down. You're making a scene. I'm sorry, I shouldn't have pried."
Lance slumped back down into his chair. "It's fine."
There was a long pause as Allura waited for Lance to fully calm down and get a hold of himself.
"If I ask again... will you be able to explain what's going on without getting all worked up... or I mean, do you even want to talk about it?"
"No, I'm fine now. I'll tell you." He said he was fine, but Lance was still slouching in his chair and refusing to make eye contact with her.
"Are you-"
"I said I'll tell you." Lance swallowed hard before beginning his story. He told Allura everything. He told her how he and Keith had been hooking up for months, how Keith wanted to be more than friends with benefits, how Lance had inadvertently lead him on, how he'd lied to Keith. He told her how guilty he felt and how he didn't know what to do. At first, Allura was completely dumbstruck. She had no idea how to respond to the dramatic tale that she'd just been told. Finally, she broke her silence.
"Well... you're going to have to tell him. I'm honestly surprised he accepted the fan excuse."
"I was too... but I can't just casually tell him 'hey, I lied to you cause I'm scared of what other people think and commitment'."
"I know that! You'll have to do something really fantastic for him. Like take him on a really nice vacation, so he'll be so happy and in such a good mood he won't get as upset as he would if you just blatantly told him."
"But we've already gone all over the world together. I mean we're together in Paris right now."
"But this is for work! Plus it's all chilly and gray here cause spring hasn't come yet. Take him somewhere tropical and private. Romance him like you normally would, and then do your best to tell him without ruining everything."
The phrase "ruining everything" rang in Lance's ears. He really could ruin everything couldn't he...
"One last question." Allura said, interrupting his train of thought. "Do you... love him?"
For the first time since he'd calmed down, Lance sat up and looked Allura in the eyes.
"Yes. More than anything."

Author's Note: ask and you shall receive!! Thanks to everyone who participated, and don't worry anyone who voted for Klance clubbing. Chapter 9 is gonna be all about that clubbing drama you wanted.