chapter 4

They only been riding an hour and Ross was done with Kate. She rode sadle side and complained of the sun and the horse.

Ross could tell she never rode. He wondered what it would have been like it Arabella was here and not kate. 

"Ahhhh ugh"

Ross turned back at the scream. Kate had got dress caught. It was now torn, nothing bad anything anyone could fix.

"Aye lass it's just a gown" he told her.

"It's not just a gown it was custom made. Also quite expensive my laird" she snapped.

Ross held back some laughs. She wasn't worth it.

"Shall we head back then" he asked her.

Kate said nothing she simply started back to the Manor. 

Kate jumped off the horse when they had gotten to the stalls and left him alone.

Ross held both horses and let out a few laughs. Leading the horses into the stable he noticed a figure in the hay.

Arabella.

Her skirts were up a little letting her legs show. She had a book in hand, something he would never see kate doing.

Ross made himself noticed by clearing his throat. Her head picked up almost instantly.

"Aye my laird.....I mean ross"

Ross nodded to her smiling a little.

"Should ye not be with Kate riding?"

Ross let out a laugh thinking back to kate freaking out over her dress.

"Aye. She got a rip in her fancy dress and we came back. She's rather Unpleasant to be with"

Arabella laughed a bit into her book she had. Kate had always been to fancy and high demand to ride. She always had to ride sadle side like a lady and wear nice dresses.

Every since they were children Arabella had been the one to love riding. She hated sadle side it was stupid and pointless.

Arabella looked to ross noticing his gaze. His eyes followed up her bare legs to her bodice all the way to her eyes.

Her cheeks had filled with colour. She was being very unlady like right now. Quickly she started shifting her skirts down.

"Aye lass nothing to be ashamed of you have lovely legs"

If his gaze didn't do it the comment he made sure did. Arabella's face was full pink and red. No man had ever looked at her this way. 

"Aye why don't we go for a ride? Kate probably to worried for her dress and the horses are ready."

Arabella would have loved to go riding. She never gave up and opportunity to go. This was kates fiance though or so hopped to be. 

Everything told Arabella to say no but those words didn't leave her mouth.

"Aye I would love too."

They rode through the fields and to the forest area. The trees were beautiful. Arabella had her skirts hiked up so she didn't have to go sale side. 

Her hair was a mess from the wind blowing through it. This was something Kate would never do.

"Aye lass let's break and let the horses rest a wee bit"

Ross and Arabella stopped by a old willow tree. Arabella knew it well. She Remembered a time when Charles took her here when there parents hit her to hard and she would cry.

"Aye lass what's got ya down?"

Arabella was brought from her thoughts. Should she tell him, no she shouldn't. So she simply shook her head. 

"Come on now Arabella you can tell me."

She didn't know what to say no one really cared for her that much but her brother. 

"My brother would bring me here as a young girl when I was upset." She told him

She let her head fall a bit. She never talked about her life this much.

"Your parents don't seem that nice to ye lass. Why favor kate and not you?"

Wasn't it obvious?

"Kates the pretty sister the one who will make a good wife. My parents are just trying to hope someone will take me as a mistress. It's not what I want I rather be with Charles then"

She watched ross's face harden. Why did he care? He would marry Kate and leave.

"We should be heading back Kate will come looking for ye soon and wonder why you were with me" she told him.

They rode back in silence. No one noticed them when they returned. That was good for Arabella her mother would have fit.

Ross had heard her say it once but a second time was awful. He couldn't wait a week he wanted her now.

Ross had only been here 2 days and was done with Kate. He needed to leave soon.

Ross had changed and informed the Lord and lady that he had made a decision. 

Everyone had gathered in the drawing room. Arabella hid in the back with her brother Charles.

Kate was dressed in an expensive gown with her hair done up the best it could be.

"Aye laird you sure you wanna marry that little wench? She's something alright but not a wife of a scott" bean told him.

Bean was his best man they went to battle together. They fought and won. They were a team.

"Aye I know she ain't." Ross told him. Bean looked confused?

"Aye lord and lady. I am sorry to cut this trip short but by tomorrow I hope to be married and leaving"

And never returning.

"You have a lovely home and daughters."

Ross noticed Kate and there mother tense when he said daughters. They seemed to act as if they didn't have a second.

"Aye would like to have ye permission to marry your daughter...Arabella"

Gasps left the mouths of her mother and sister. Shock filled her body. He wanted to marry her?

Arabella stood in shock as Ross said he wanted to marry her. She wasn't trained to be married or a wife how did she run a castle!

"My laird you mean to say Kate right. Arabella isn't anything like Kate." Her mother said.

"Aye I know she's not like kate" she said looking to Arabella in the back "she's better."