Chapter 19

After a few more rounds and different places and positions they finally dressed. Ross had food made and brought to the study for them. Charles came back in with a smug smile on his face and the baby.

Ross watched as Arabella held the baby. She made little faces and bounced her on her knee. Ross couldn't help but smile at the way she held the baby. It made him feel something on the inside. He wanted that to be there baby that she held and loved. 

"My laird we must discus the matter at hand"

Charles had broken ross from his thoughts. He was right they needed to discuss everything. How were they to protect yet bring out the killer.

"Yes now what do we know about this, who can we put as a suspect?"

"We think it is one of your stable hands his name is Brodie. Tall and ruff looking kinda guy."

Ross looked at Charles as if he was crazy? What stable hand? All of his stable hands were loyal. Also none of them where named Brodie.

"That's not possible my stable hands are loyal men and none go by the name of Brodie? Do any of you know of them?"

Charles nodded, "Our sister kate ran off with him not long after the wedding was held. We thought Brodie was one of your men."

Ross shook his head, "No Brodie isn't one of my men, still makes no sense to why he would want to hurt us?"

Arabella looked sick as they talked of everything, maybe it would be best if she went and kept the baby happy. 

"My love why don't you go and take the babe out."

Arabella smiled standing up she kissed ross on the cheek and took the baby out of the study. It was then just ross and Charles.

"What if he is working for someone? It seems like a possibility?" 

Ross nodded in agreement but the problem still stood, who would they be working for?

Arabella held baby rose on her hip. It was dark outside so it was better to stay in. Everyone seemed to have gone to bed early, maybe they should too.

Making her way upstairs Arabella went back to hers and ross's room they shared. The fire wasn't lit and the room was dark. Rose moved around in her arms. She tried to sooth her but she had started to cry.

The door slammed close behind them making Arabella jump. Rose screamed in her arms.

"Please shut that thing up!"

Turning to look in the darkness of the room a figure was made out. A tall blonde figure walked out into the small light that came from the moon. Everything felt like it stopped, "K-Kate what are you doing here?"

Kate gave a evil smile, "Oh dear sister I am here to clam what was to be mine. You stole everything from me."

Rose cried in Arabella's arms but they was no one for Arabella to cry on. "Kate please you don't have to do this."

"oh but I do. You stole everything from me Arabella. I should be the one who is getting bedded everywhere who is the mistress of Mackay. NOT YOU!" 

Tears stung Arabella's eyes she didn't do anything. Why was she doing this worse how was she going to get out of this. Kate had to of planned this. She was trapped.

"Brodie come we must be on our way."

The door opened and in walked the same big man that threatened her not long ago. He grabbed her arms in his big hands. Rose screamed louder at the sight of Brodie.

"for the love of god shut that thing up. Brodie lets go we haven't all night."

Ross and Charles had lost track of time it must have been close to the early times of the morning. Ross made his way up to his room hopping to find his wife fast asleep. He was shocked to find nothing. 

Something was wrong though why? Ross walked back into the hall to find Maggie walking up to him. "Aye my laird I am shocked to find ye awake still. Don't blame ye that babe was screaming something loud. You would almost thing she was being kidnapped" 

Ross looked to Maggie, rose never screamed when she was with Arabella....Something was really off.

"Maggie have the guards wake and search the ground and area now. I am off to find Arabella."

Charles had came out of his room shock filling his face. "Charles what is it?"

"I saw riders going west towards the docks, Why though who would be riding to the boats at this time of night?"

Ross wasted no time running down to find the head of the guard. He needed eyes everywhere.

"Aye my laird, my men are about to set out what can we do for ye?"

"Aye I need ye to head to the docks have all the boats stopped from leaving I want the all checked."

The guard nodded leaving to inform the men. Ross turned to see Maggie and Charles. "Aye I can not find the mistress or the babe? none of the girl have seen or heard them ether."

Charles looked panicked and he had every right too. That was his baby and sister who could be missing. Ross had the best men for the job and he be damned if he let the murderer get away now.

He controlled everything here he held the power. He was going to bring back his wife and the babe in one peace. This ended here tonight. No one messed with the scots man, laird of Mackay.