Chapter 17

"my laird we didn't find anything the trail is cold."

Ross looked at the man before him. How could he even think that they should give up. It had almost been a month since she had left. How could he give up on her, she was his everything now.

"no we are not going to give up she couldn't have gone far. We need to expand the search to the local towns maybe someone has seen her."

The young man before him nodded and went to start the search.

Ross had been writing to Arabellas family but no one was sending anything back. He took to writing to Charles, his letters hadn't been answered yet ether.

He wanted to know why she left if she was safe. He needed to know she was ok. He was never going to give up on her, he loved her.

Arabella had enjoyed her time with Charles and baby rose. The baby had some of her same features. It worried her to think she would have no mother to grow up with. As much as Charles would be an amazing father rose would need a mother someday.

Beside being with baby rose all the time Arabella had taken to trying to find who ever was trying to hurt her family. It had to be someone who knew them or maybe someone she knew.

Who would try and kill her family and why.

"Arabella can you come up to my study"

Charles had walked to the drawing room that evening where Arabella was enjoying a book and tea. She nodded and followed him up stairs.

The room was filled with books and full bright windows. It was beautiful.

Arabella took a seat across from Charles, he looked mad but he had looked like that most of the time she was here.

"So I was just wondering when you planned to return home, I would like to make sure you make it there safe."

Arabella nodded "I am sure ross would agree as well" She then stood to leave the room.

"Ah then why is it he has no idea where you are?"

Arabella froze on the spot, everything inside her threatened to come back up. How did he know?

"Ross sent me a few letters, now I can answer these or you can tell me everything now."

What was she to say to him...

"Was he hurting you?....Or..."

what?

"no he didn't hurt me no he is kind and loving and an amazing husband. Its just that.."

How did she say it to him what if he blamed her for everything that happened. She took a deep breath and let it out.

"The note you got...I got a few of them when I was at Mackay. Some is out to get me and said they would hurt the ones I love if I didn't leave. So I ran away and after one of the girls was murdered. I am scared they could be connected to your wife."

Charles just looked at her with cold eyes, she couldn't tell if he blamed her or if he was just mad.

"I don't blame you if that's what you think, but I do think if someone tried to get you there it was smart to lead them away."

It felt like the first time she ever did something right. How was she going to find this person on her own. she needed Charles help.

"Charles I need to find who ever is doing this and stop them, please. I can't live my life like this."

He nodded, "Ok lets find this guy."

A week went by and they hadn't found anything. They only had put together that who ever it was who killed Charles wife was the same person who killed Gretel at Mackay. Arabella had been thinking over everything that had gone down there when she was at Mackay. Who had it out for her or better yet who had she made mad.

That's when it hit her....

The man from the barn what was his name Brodie? He seemed strange like he didn't belong there or his men. Could he have part in this?

"Charles I think I might have someone who maybe part of this all, he was a stable hand at Mackay. Only he didn't seem to fit in, he didn't seem like someone ross would bring on. He was quite rude and awful."

Charles looked over to her, "what was his name? Did you ever catch it?"

"yes his name was Brodie but I didn't get the other names."

Charles face went hard as he heard the name as if he knew it. How could he know a man in Scotland.

"Brodie is the name of the man kate ran off with he was a tough looking man. Ruff around the edges he and kate left town though."

Just when they thought they were getting somewhere the trail went cold. What were they to do now? They had a name of a man who was now with her sister that threatened her. What if kate was in trouble?

"Arabella I think we need more men for this job. We can not do this alone, we need to go back to ross the both of us and explain what we know to him."

Arabella couldn't believe what she was hearing go back to Mackay to ross. It was a dream but it may hurt him or her. What if he was so mad he threw her out and wanted her gone. What if he had found another to warm his bed. Everything bad ran through her head but she needed to push that aside.

The man needed to be brought down she couldn't risk Charles or rose's lives. She needed to be brave for once and stand up to everything. 

"ok we can do it I will start packing and have a nurse pack for rose as well."

Arabella stood to leave the study, "no rose will stay here with a nurse maid, she will not come too."

"Charles that's your daughter you can not just leave her here alone what if she gets hurt or kidnapped, she is coming and that is that."

She didn't wait to hear his answer she just left him there. It felt good to be heard by someone for once and to feel strong. She stood up to someone even if it was just Charles she finally spoke her mind.