Chapter three

Father Prentiss

Chapter three

Disclaimer: I don't own Criminal Minds or the characters.

'~'~'~'~'~'~'~'~'~'~

The next morning, Emily was sitting on the edge of the bed whilst Spencer was in the shower. She was trying to build the confidence to call her dad, but every time she thinks she can do it, she'd back out when she'd near the phone.

She knew she needed to call him today, even if they couldn't meet today. She wanted it over and done with.

She thought back to the letter he had written her, and felt a familiar stinging feeling in her eyes. Ever since she'd fund out she was pregnant, her hormones had been crazy. She'd cry a lot more, over extremely stupid things and she was sleeping a lot more too. The new situation with her father trying to re-enter her life surely wasn't making matters any better.

The part of this letter that hurt her the most, but also made her spread a sort of smile, was the fact she found out she had two younger siblings. She was an older sister. The words still felt foreign to her, but she felt herself gradually getting more used to the idea. How would they react when they met her? Would they hate her? Or would they like her?

She picked up her phone and stared at it.

Just do it Prentiss!

She took a deep breath and dialled the number in her hand and lifted the phone up to her ear.

After a few rings, he picked up.

"Hello?"

Her breath caught in her throat hearing his voice, she hadn't even realised she hadn't said anything.

"Hello?" came his voice again, which seemed to snap her out of her thoughts.

She cleared her throat and began talking.

"Hey... it's me... Emily..."

'~'~'~'~'~'~'~'~'~'~

Last night

'~'~'~'~'~'~'~'~'~'~

Anthony was on his couch, staring into oblivion, when he felt a hand on his shoulder. He looked back and saw his wife of 22 years standing behind him smiling sadly.

"Anthony what's bugging you?" Janine asked in a kind voice, coming around to sit by him.

"I went to her house," He whispered.

She looked confused. "Whose house?"

"Emily's..." He looked at his hands as tears began to well up in his eyes.

She gasped, her hand coming to rest on his shoulder again.

"Really? What happened?"

"A man answered the door, he looked to be about 34, I asked if Emily Prentiss was there, he called for her, she showed up and you know what happened?" He said, you could tell by his voice that he was on the verge of tears.

"What?" She asked softly.

"She didn't even recognise me. She asked for my name and the second I told her smile dropped. I said I wanted to know her again, and after a few minutes of arguing she said she'd have to think about it." He didn't try to wipe his tears before continuing. "I gave her the letter and my number and address... but her actually calling or coming here is a completely different story."

"I'm so sorry honey. I know you wanted to talk to her."

"Yeah... I know I'm being selfish considering the fact I hadn't talked to her in 26 years, and here I am expecting her to call... god this is probably exactly what it felt like for her when I left, waiting for daddy to call like he promised." His voice cracked, and he couldn't stop his tears any longer.