black as blood

Nathen pov.

I smiled at winter sadly. "I'm sorry but I can't afford to lose you."

"You don't get a say. As your Superior I order you to take me with you on your mission." She crossed her arms and glared at me. I sighed.

"Very well but you must listen to me." I said. "This is very important. If something were to happen to you." I grab hold of her hands. "I can't lose someone important again." Ironwood cleared his throat.

"If either of you need something please call." With that he left winter and I alone in office.

"Nathen," winter started, "I don't know what I would do without you but I can assure you that I can take care of myself." She wrapped her arms around my waist and pulled our faced close to one another since she is around the same size as me.

"Winter before we start to get ready for the mission I have to tell you something," I said as our noses brushed and I stared into her beautiful ice blue eyes, "i-" she then crashed her lips into mine. I put my hands on her hips accepting the kiss and embracing it. I closed my eyes and felt myself being pushed against a wall by winter. I opened my eyes and stopped the kiss blushing. "Guess our feeling are mutual?" I asked blushing like a tomato.

"Yes nathen I love you too." She smirked. "Maybe we should express how much we love each for the night?" She suggested smiling.

"As much as I would love that I have to get stuff arranged for the trip." I sighed. "Besides it's not even noon yet." She looked down sad. "Hey there will be chances for us to have fun like that." She smiled and gave me one final kiss.

"So you 2 finally got together?" We turned our heads to see the secretary sticking her head in with a smirk. In an instant winter pushed away from me with tinted cheeks. "There was a package delivered for mr. Ryan." She walked in and set it down on the desk and left but not before saying, "if you're going to do it at least use protection." I blushed badly. I turned my attention over to the box. It had the words open me written on the side. I picked the box up and put my ear to it. No ticking. I set the box down and opened it up. What I saw horrified me.

Winter pov

I watched Nathen look into the box with horror before shutting it immediately. He looked like he was about to be sick. "He's an animal." Was all Nathen said before turning and leaving without the box.

I walked over to the box and slowly opened to find a locket covered in blood. I went to grab it. I examined the locket slowly. It was heart shaped and could be opened so my curiosity got the better of me. I look inside and saw Nathen but as a baby. I knew it was him because of his eyes. He was being held in the arms of a woman. She was smiling. I looked over to the other side and saw a man who could only have the look of evil in his eye. He looked like an older and evil version of Nathen only with a scar running diagonally across his face. I was confused as to why he was horrified. I turned to see nathen with his sleeves rolled up and a scroll to his ear. He was in tears.

"Yes I understand doctor. Thank you." He hung up. "Please give me the locket." He requested solemnly holding out his hand.

"What is this locket about?" I asked giving it to him.

"It's- it was my mothers. I visited her last week in the hospital. She was found dead this morning with her throat cut. Her locket gone. Nurse said a man with a scar visited her last." I then realized why the locket was covered in blood. I took off my gloves and threw them away. Nathen wrapped his fingers around the locket. "I'm going to kill him." Nathen then turned leaving the room I looked back at the box and saw a note that wasn't seen before. I pulled it out and opened it.

"If you are reading this then that means I'm coming after you son. Daddies coming home. Be ready to meet your mother. For if you inherited anything from your mother, I hope it was her fire. She fought with that fire when I slit her throat. Prepare to die." Signed with a bloody hand print.

I couldn't show this to him. It would destroy him. "Ms Schnee." I turned to see my secretary standing in the doorway. "Nathen has left you a message. He says he loves you and wished he could have spent more time with you but he couldn't take the risk." With every word my heart sank. "If he survives he will call." This cheered me up.

"Wait where is he going?" I asked her.

Nathen pov

I stood on the bullhead as it flew from atlas. "Where are we going sir?" The pilot asked.

"Home."