Chapter 3

Bury my sane part inside myself? No! Never! I refuse.........my sane part's the only one I have that connects me to the real world! 

The real world is where all the problems are, Alice. Let it go.........let yourself go into a world of fun and bloody murder.........

No! I won't! I'll solve all of my problems and then I'll live happily. That's my plan. 

Your plans never work, Alice. 

Name one that didn't work. 

You planned to stay by your mother's side. You planned to keep friends. You planned to never behave like David, and yet here you are. 

I could have stayed by my mother's side! That.......that bright-eyed freak pulled me away! 

You wanted to dance, you know you did.

I didn't. Now leave me alone. 

"Coming, little Alice?" David asked me. I hate that nickname. He better put it away. I hurried up to catch up with him. "Who was the guy who pulled me away from my mom, anyway?" He looked at me in amusement. "You still remember Max? He'll be flattered. He quite liked dancing with you." 

I blushed. "Of course I remember that! You killed my mother! I wish I could forget.........but......" 

"But you can't. It's a fact of life. You can't just voluntarily forget things." There's a true fact. 

"And is he back at the asylum, too?" I asked, I don't know why. 

"He's not back at the asylum, that's for sure. He had to install the explosives. I don't really know whe--wait." He stopped, and turned around. I turned around, too.  

A dark figure was walking towards us. I didn't really become as uneasy as you'd expect. Number one: I'm next to an insane serial killer. While I absolutely despise him, he's probably safer to be around if he's not stalking you or trying to kill you. Number two: It's not really scary to see things walking towards you if you see them every night. Yeah, that's right. There's a reason why I was still in that horrid place. 

"Hello, Max!" David greeted. Yippee. Two people whom I don't trust at all. I have half a mind to run to Tara's house, but I don't have an idea of where I am. Somewhere in a forest. 

"Where did you get the explosives for this?" I asked absentmindedly, as I realized there were ashes in the air. 

Max looked at me, as if he just saw me. "Ah! Hello, Alice. Pleasure to see you again." He smiled. 

"Couldn't really say the feeling's mutual." I mumbled, still looking at the ashes. A place full of innocent people, gone up in smoke.

 "Awe, come on. Don't be like that, Alice." A wave of rage rushed through me as I turned to him. 

"Don't be like that? Don't be like that?! I suppose I should be smiling and thanking you for helping this son of a bitch kill my mother! What is with you?" I shouted at him. 

"Well, excuse me for expecting average human decency to someone who just saved your life!" He spat back. 

"Saved my life? I've hardly got more of a chance living happily ever after with psychopaths than living in an insane asylum!" 

"We might as well have left you there to explode, you know?" David hissed. 

"You might as well have!" I yelled, then turned around and walked away. 

Wrong way, Alice. The prey is the other way. 

I won't kill him. You know that. I'd feel too guilty to even kill him. Yes, the world would get rid of one more bad person, but the world. The world and its problems. I could live with Sophie, far from the world's problems.

"How long do you think it'll take until she admits that she's going the wrong way?" I heard someone whisper. I turned around and they quickly hid. 

I sighed. "Come out." I nearly ordered. They did. 

"I guess I'll get lost if I continue alone. I'm coming with you guys." 

"You owe me five dollars." David said to Max.

"I'm broke from the last bet!" 

"You're the one who said she wouldn't go out anyway!" I sighed again. God forbid I turn insane all over again with these two.