Chapter 5

I woke up to complete silence. I stood up and looked through one of the cracks in the walls: it was definitely sunny outside. I didn't sleep until the next night, that's for sure. But where is everyone? Not even Scream's here. Where are they? I stepped out into the hallway, but I didn't find anyone there. I was pretty hesitant about wandering around this huge place by myself, since it's easy to get lost here, but I couldn't find another solution. I slowly started walking down the hall, and I noticed that time had taken its toll on the inside of the building, as well. There were pieces of some wooden doors lying around here, and the remains of some unknown substances were occasionally splattered on the wall. After taking a left turn, I saw an unmarked bottle lying on the floor. I picked it up, and sniffed it. I immediately threw the bottle down as I recognized the smell. Alcohol. I'm not a fan of it. It makes your mind foggy. Makes it hard to think clearly. After continuing for a longer time, I came upon a set of wooden stairs, leading downstairs. Why not? I think I'm on the first floor, anyway, so downstairs will eventually mean getting out, right? The boards creaked under my feet as I descended. I must have got my sense of direction wrong, since at the bottom of the stairs there was a door. A locked one. Ugh. I turned to go up again, but I saw someone at the top of the stairs, scaring me out of my wits. I calmed myself down, and walked up, expecting either David or Max. He wasn't either one of them.

It was a pale, blonde boy, about my age. "You're going the wrong way." He simply stated. 

Yeah, I figured that out, man. "Are you......are you Cole?" I asked him. 

He nodded. "And you're the girl that they went to get last night, right? Caused quite a commotion. I saw some of it on a television in town." Well, that's not good, is it? At least they'll probably think I'm dead. Good. If I'm dead to people, they won't expect me anywhere. Just erase me from files and no more asylum! But my apartment? What about my photos? How......."Hey! Are you still alive or something?" Cole said, waving his hand in front of my face. 

"Hey! I'm alive, yeah. Where are the others?" 

Cole shrugged. "David's probably out stalking someone." I frowned. Some people just don't have the right hobbies.

"Are you actually allowed to call him David? He nearly killed me when I did."

Cole laughed a bit. "Yeah. We don't really call him anything. He's gone a lot, unless he's with Max, hacking someone. Max is like a computer genius here." Huh. The CleverBot issue's explained. But I wonder why Max is here, anyway. I asked Cole this question. 

"I think he tried hacking into the government system at some point." 

"Seriously? How'd you get into an asylum for that?" 

"They found out about it, and they interrogated him about this. Apparently, when they asked him why he did it, he started babbling something about him wanting to 'see where he can find government military equipment'. Why he'd need that is a mystery." 

I saw the reason that he's here now. "You're all mad." I muttered. 

"Look at yourself! You aren't much better than any of them." Them? Oh yeah, that's right. Cole and Macy weren't actually from the asylum. "So what's your story?" I asked him. His eyes took on a more serious look. 

"Me and my sister, we're orphans. Mom and Dad got killed in a car crash. We got stuck in an orphanage. The people there aren't the nicest." Someone had once told me that. I was actually quite happy to avoid being put in one, but the other option wasn't much better.

"We're talking about a place nearly across the country, though, back when Macy was seventeen and I was eleven. We eventually ran away. It was really so liberating to get out of there, but we realized really quickly that we had nowhere to go. We hitchhiked often, though. We got here before we actually got problems. We were too hungry to go on, and we literally didn't find anywhere until we saw the forest. I thought we could survive on berries and stuff, but Macy found this place. We sneaked in and just acted really crazy. We got the free meals, so that was alright. Otherwise, we hated it. But we didn't dare run away. No matter how shit it was, it was better than the orphanage. David and a few others raided the asylum a few years after we came here. We lived along with the other 'insane' people, who weren't even that bad. Scream was kinda weird to get used to, though, and many people were dying, but all in all it wasn't that bad." There's a nice little back story. I didn't think that David would have actually helped others. I mean, sure, he claimed to 'help' people, but for him help means kill. Well, you learn something new every day, eh?