Chapter 24(Final)

The shock of Tara's death wasn't allowed to last long. Soon after, a countdown began again. Would it be me? No, it would be Patrick. All those I love will be killed right in front of me. "Alice?" Patrick called my attention. "It was nice to know you." He didn't smile. I knew he couldn't.

"Three....Two....."

"I hope my brother finds the humanity in him to feel something after I die." Literally in the blink of an eye, another shot was fired at Patrick. Sophie was crying, Macy was screaming, Cole was sitting in shock, Max was struggling to escape from his cuffs, and David was staring at the floor, his eyes were narrow. I don't know what happened, but by the time the third countdown began, my senses began blurring. Screams became background noises to my whirring thoughts. Dead looks were only an image, seemingly distant. Macy was shot in the head as well soon after. Is that Cole screaming her name? I can't process things clearly anymore. Oh, he's dead as well. Sophie? Sophie's still screaming and crying. I sympathized with her in any way imaginable, but it didn't help.

"Big....brother..." She managed to say between sobs, until she as well took a bullet in her forehead. Max. David's best friend and, honestly, a strange person. What were his last words?

"Fucking hell, David, I always thought we'd die like badasses. Damn." A final laugh. A sixth gunshot ringing in my ears. I would have braced myself for the next one, but I was too numb for anything. People have a certain amounts of deaths they can see before they go slightly off the edge. I got pushed over the fucking cliff. Then something pierced my blurred world like a knife. A small voice gasped

"No..." It took me a moment to realize it was David's voice. It was a small noise of ultimate horror emitted from the person that was once the image of ultimate horror. I waited. Nothing. No countdown. No seventh blast. Just my mental echo of that little noise, that little 'no'. At that moment, a door behind me opened.

"Hello, there. Glad you could make it." I could hear a smile in James' dark voice. Something boiled inside me, about to burst. It was his fault. It is his fault. He killed these people. I struggled with the cuffs, and they were open, to my surprise. I instantly jumped up from the chair to attack James when I saw he had a handgun pointed at me. I slowly backed away, bumping into David, who was standing behind me. I looked up at him. His eyes seemed cold, hard.

"And so we meet." James spun the gun in his hand. I moved away from in between the two.

"Isn't it terrible?" he asked David, as he slowly walked around him. "Losing all—well, nearly all of the people you ever cared for?" He paused, and acted as if he was studying the firearm in his hand. "Doesn't it just rob you of all purpose in life?" he smiled malevolently. "Doesn't it make you want to just..." he held the gun out. "...end it?" I gasped internally. He wouldn't. But he did. Slowly, David's hand rose to take the gun, and he looked at it himself. Studying the black surface. Letting his hand glide along the smooth metal. My eyes widened as he slowly let the gun rise to his temple. A finger placed on the trigger. A deep breath. I closed my eyes quickly as a gunshot sounded. The seventh gunshot. There it was. My eyes slowly opened again, and there was someone lying on the ground, but it wasn't David. He had shot James.

"You killed him." I gasped.

"I did." David confirmed.

"You just....." I couldn't finish. It was just that easy. He just shot the one person who has been tormenting my mind. I looked down to the body, then back at David. He had the gun back on his temple. "David...drop the gun, David." I told him.

"I'm sorry, Alice." He replied.

"For what?" His eyes met mine.

"I thought you were overreacting when you held a grudge against me for so long. 'It's just one person less in her life. It's not like it matters.' That's what I told myself." His eyes weren't cold. They weren't hard. His eyes showed him to be someone I couldn't help but pity. "I never thought it was this hard to lose someone you care about. I never thought it could really affect you." He blinked.

"Don't shoot," I thought. "Please don't shoot." But you always wanted him dead. I don't want him dead now. But —no. Don't. Please. I don't want this person dead.

"I'm sorry, Alice. Goodbye." He closed his eyes. He inhaled deeply. He pulled the trigger.....