04

Late at night when Nate was busy doing Harris' homework, his father came in, interrupting his studies.

"Come on."

Nate complied, following him and his grandfather to the older Argent's office. "I'm not interested in whether they locked up a sixteen year old kid. I'm interested in what's going to happen to that sixteen year old when the moon hits its peak tonight," Gerard said before taking his pills. "Do we have proof?"

"Is the next step killing him?" Chris asked his father. "The next step is eliminating the threat. Do we have proof?" Gerard interrogated.

"I haven't been in history class for a while, but I'm pretty sure straight up genocide hasn't worked out too often," Chris said. "Do we have proof or not?" Gerard asked once again getting exasperated by the conversation.

"Not irrefutable. But not insignificant," Chris finally said. "The driver's side door of Lahey's car was pried off." Nate was a little puzzled by the conversation, not being included in it since the beginning. "Did-did you just said pried off?" Nate questioned. "Ripped off," Chris clarified. Gerard raised an eyebrow and looked outside his office, eyes landing on the Argent girl.

He nudged his head towards her making Chris turn around and close the door, shielding Allison from spying on them. "So what now?"

Gerard looked towards his grandson and smirked. "We're sending McCoy to the sheriff station with this," he said holding up a box with a syringe inside, "and you're going to be his backup, follow him."

Nate smiled. "Go get your weapons son, and meet up with Martin outside."

The raven haired boy exited the office and went up to his room, looking for his bow, quiver full of arrows and his gun. He waited inside his car, watching how McCoy exited the house and got into his own vehicle.

Nathaniel waited a minute until the other hunter was gone before following him. They drove for about ten minutes before Martin's car tires were popped. He slowed down and got out of his car to inspect the problem.

Nate parked and exited the car, finding his companion with an arrow to his leg. "Dude what happened?" The older man stared at him. "Someone did this. Someone who can shoot arrows. There's something you want to tell me, huh, Golden Argent?"

Nate rolled his eyes at the nickname, not really liking how people tend to call him that. "First, don't you ever call me that again. Second, I was right behind you when all of this happened, I have amazing aim but not this amazing. Third, my arrows have red fletchings, not black. And fourth, I'm on your side, why would I do that to you?"

Martin shrugged, knowing he was right, everything he said was right. "Look, let's just take my car, we'll get there faster." Nate took his arm and draped it around his shoulder and helped McCoy walk to his black SUV. He took one last look at the popped tires and arrows and got inside his car.

"Don't bleed on my seats."

When they got to the police station, the older hunter quickly got out and entered the station without a problem, leaving Nate to help himself in. "Okay Nate, you can do this, just talk your way in and that's it. Remember this is what you're supposed to do. The supernatural creatures need to pay for what they are and what they've done. What they did to James."

Nathaniel exited the car and made his way to the precinct. "Can I help you with something?" The lady at the desk asked, hearts practically replacing her eyes. "Yeah, um, you come here often?" Nate mentally punched himself at the stupidity of the question. Now I understand what my family means with poor social skills.

The police officer glared at him in return. "I work here. Do you need help with anything?" Nate smiled, his confidence wavering a little. "Yeah. I, uhh... I-I was wondering if you could help me with giving me information about how to get into this job."

"Kid, why did you come here at night? You could've just come in the morning," the officer said. "I know, I was just busy during the day and was driving by now so I decided to go for it," Nate answered.

The lady, clearly buying his story turned around and entered her office giving Nate the opportunity to slip through and look for Martin inside. Finding his colleague was an easy task. "Did you find the keys?" Nate asked the hunter as soon as he saw him. McCoy held his hands up, showing the item.

They continued walking, the older hunter taking the syringe out and preparing to finish his job. "Whoa. Uh, just looking, um..." a voice said, making Nate stop in his tracks. "Oh, shi-"

Nate peeked into the hallway, seeing Martin holding a boy with a buzz cut, muffling his words. A boy that looked oddly familiar to him. Suddenly the fire alarm turned on making Nate groaned. "This fucking kid."

He followed them until he got to the holding cells, only to find the two other males looking at the opened cell in fear. Martin's grunts were heard as Isaac Lahey attacked him in wolf form. The blond boy knocked the hunter out and turned to the Argent boy.

Nate took his pistol and pointed at him but a hand grabbed his wrist, twisting it making the Argent release his hold. Nate groaned, punching the man on the chest making him take a couple of steps back. The man, who Nate assumed was with Isaac, rolled his eyes at that and walked past him and to the holding cells, not paying any more attention to the hunter.

Nathaniel went to retrieve his weapon, his eyes widening at the older man words. "I'm the alpha."
He went to a corner and hid, waiting. He saw Derek Hale walk out the precinct with Isaac Lahey in tow. He looked around the corner to see the sheriff and a couple of police officers walk by, taking that as his cue to leave.

When he returned home, Chris called Nate to the office. The boy gulped, knowing they weren't going to be happy with what happened tonight.

"Did you do it?"

Those were the words that met him. "There was a bit of a situation, grandpa," Nate answered. "Do not sugarcoat it. Did you do the job?"

"No. We were close but something slowed us down at first. Then a kid in plaid shirt caught Martin in the act so we needed to take care of him. Then the boy in the cell wolfed out and attacked Martin. As I was going to shoot him, the alpha attacked me. Then the sheriff came so I had to get out of there. I'm so sorry."

Gerard massaged his temples. He couldn't be mad with his grandson, but he screwed up. "You know what this means, Nathaniel?" The boy closed his eyes and nodded. "You're not letting us down. No, my boy, you're letting him down. You're letting James down."

Chris had only heard that name twice in his whole life. One, when he was informed that James Dimitri was the second fastest to complete the initiation, after his son. And two, the day the news of his death were passed to him. He didn't know how important the boy was to his son, but by his tensed body and sad expression, it was a lot.

"I know. I promise you that next time I'll do better."