Chapter 21 Never let go

Chapter 21
Never let go

Several grinning men guided Alexander out of the last few steps . One young man as thick as oak, fling his arms around Alexander,shouting . "You saved my sister, my lord . " In a high choked voice. Alexander extricated himself patting the weeping boy consolingly sent him off to tend to the girl.

Nodding absently at the thanks from the one red eyed father , Alexander watched as the entire village was there , gathered around the four happily weeping servant families. Old faces and young openly showed their fear and relief.

"Yer a right one, ye are , yer Lordship. Never thought to see a lord of this manor risssk hisself to rescue servant children, I didnt " the old man rubbed his chin thoughtfully as Alexander walked away in search of his wife .

Grinning at the rejoicing groups which were now moving in and out of the rain , he grabbed an agitated Mary .

"Where is her ladyship ? Is she in the house?" As he fought back a wave of uneasiness sweeping through him .

"Your horses , my lord !"

The horses . Reminded , Alexander swung about , but even from here he could see that it was too late . Although the rain was drowning the flaming roof, smoke and sparks billowed from the open stable doors. Only tongue of flames came from the silent structure.

It had come sooner than he had thought, but perhaps that was mercy . It would not have been possible for him to calm the maddened horses . It would be too dangerous .Dear God , how the poor animals must have suffered . His own horse. Sickened , he turned away.

"No My lord ,there "

He turned around to see a huddling bunch .His own defiant horse ,on guard , surrounded by ten frightened mares.

With a defiant scream, a single white horse galloped frantically out of the stable. The white mare shone ghostly against the smoking doorway.

He couldn't believe it . How ? Who? After the first rush of joy came the unadulterated terror . Lizzie, whirling , he frantically eyed every knot of people, yet nowhere did he see the delicate figure of his wife.

"Lizzie" the cry tore from his raw throat, and then he was running faster than he had ever run before. He knew she had done it . Worse he knew she was still in that cursed stable. And as he drove into the smoke he knew he was not coming out without her.

The smoke was thick , the dark color from burning straw, and Alexander virtually crawled across the floor. There was still some good air there . He could only hope Lizzie had known to seek it..

The flames had already destroyed the Ned of the building which housed the lads ,and were tearing through the storage area above him. Down on the floor it was relatively cool still, the open door proving some fresh air .

Lizzie! LIZZIE !". The smoke choked his shouts as he moved desperately from stall to stall peering into the darkness . Then he saw her white gown against the darkened wood of a shattered stall door.

She lay at the foot of a post , one small hand upturned by her face as if she was sleeping . Oh God , Oh No , no , no , no ....................,

What should be the outcome ? Should she die ? Give your feedback please