Chapter 18 Where Passion Rules

Chapter 18

Where Passion Rules

Stepping through the grand doors of the library, Alexander stood a moment , lips pursed . The last time he had come here was with the clear intention of seducing his wife.

His very fiery argumentative and headstrong wife .

But now she was gone . He had killed her spirit.

He missed that Lizzie .

He wanted her and he wanted their friendship back .

But she on the other hand wanted to have nothing to do with him.

"Oh bother " .He heard an exasperated feminine tone which sounded very much like his wife.

There he went again obsessing about his wife .............was he hearing things now ?

Jerking upright, he spun towards the sound . There high on the ladder, stretching perilously towards an out of reach shelf was his wife .

Suddenly realizing her danger he sprang towards her .

Thunder boomed outside even as he moved . Startled Lizzie lost her precarious grip and began to fall. A despairing shriek followed her down .

"Oooooooooooooh!!"

Lizzie found herself sprawled on the floor . Eyes shut tightly against the enormous pain that was sure to follow.

There was nothing , nothing except the lumpy surface she lay upon. It was quite grinding into her side . Wriggling to find comfort she opened one eye .

Why she didn't appear the least bit mangled! Her hands were fine , her arms and legs moved easily.

Well quite an anticlimax to be sure , though she was thrilled to be undamaged , rolling over to push herself upward , she was surprised to find her hands pressed against a very hard , very broad male chest. Following the expanse upward she gasped !!

It was Alexander she had landed upon, and he did not look well at all, he lay distressingly still, obviously in some pain .

Frantic she scrambled up him to lay one hand on his cheek .

'My lord ? Oh , Alexander please be all right !" There was no response.

Just as she was about to rise , she felt his chest expand with a great sucking draw. Wheezing harshly ,he took one breath after another, while Lizzie perched on him , her eyes wet with gratitude.

"Lizzie ?" abruptly he said . "Lizzie , how could you be so foolish? What a careless thing to do ! What would have I done if you had broken your neck ?" On their own his hands reached for her , pulling her down to his chest , his relief at her obvious , making his heart pound even harder .