[4] CH 109: MISSTEP

Otto: "Just as how we discussed before, I'm about to have the villagers escape while I lure Garfiel. Natsuki-san said he would be fine with just buying time, but I'm feeling greedy for something more... could I hope for you to assist me?"

After parting with Subaru, before departing on the two bait carriages, Otto spoke with Ram there at a corner of the village.

Ram crossed her arms in response to Otto's rather unconfident query, herself leaning against a wall as she closed her eyes. She proceeded in her silence, while the impending start of battle threw Otto into impatient panic.

Otto: "Erm, excuse me... honestly, there isn't very much time..."

Ram: "Impatient men go unliked. I mentioned this before, but nothing has changed about it depending on the requirements."

Ram opened one eye, before promptly discarding Otto's imploring gaze.

The BEFORE she mentioned referred to an event from three days ago. The night where Subaru challenged Roswaal to a bet, and Otto proposed a joint fight with Ram.

Roswaal urged Ram to leave the room when Subaru visited him, leaving the two alone.

Back then, Otto had been intending to make contact with Ram when she left the building. Otto accurately determined that Roswaal would distance Ram provided an important matter related to the gospel came up, and he managed to catch her in a moment of her free time.

Plainly said, three days ago Ram and Otto were crossing the line for shallow acquaintanceships. They could count their interactions on one hand, and furthermore short of something incredible happening, Ram had not a shred of interest in any men except Roswaal. The people she conversed with in SANCTUARY, excluding those related to the Roswaal Mansion, were probably just Lewes and Garfiel.

And thus when Otto called out to Ram and she looked at him as he were a pebble lying on the road, he needed to begin the conversation by building up cordial relations.

Otto: "Greetings, erm... Ram-san. It sure is a nice night out."

Ram: "—"

Otto: "Hello?"

Ram: "—. Ah, I was wondering who you were, and it turns out you're that man who was prostrating himself behind Barusu. You give so thin of an impression when separated from him that I could not tell what kind of creature you were."

Otto: "So I'm less than human!? That truly does hurt to hear. Or, no, erm, I mean I do understand why I'm being treated like Natsuki-san's accessory..."

Ram: "A man who accepts being anyone's accessory is worthless. Begone."

Otto: "Unsparing!?"

Ram's unapproachable attitude swiftly tore Otto to shreds.

With not the slightest interest in Otto, Ram leaned against the wall beside the door as she crossed her arms.

Otto: "Excuse me, would you mind if we talked?"

Ram: "Leaving aside whether or not I remember it, have you ever considered starting conversations by first presenting your name? Leaving aside whether or not I remember it."

Otto: "Why is it that you reminded me twice about whether you'll remember it? Hauhh... My name is Otto Swein. A humble travelling merchant, although I would greatly appreciate it if you could at least memorize my face and name."

Ram: "That would depend on how interesting this talk of yours is." Ram conceded not a speck of her dominance in this conversation.

Although indicated that she would listen to Otto's talk, she stated that she would immediately cancel it should the topic be worthless. Otto again pumped himself up to present a perspective that his conversational opponent would not have expected.