[5] CH 3: EACH GIVES PERSPECTIVE

Emilia: "It wasn't fair to Otto-kun that we decided so much on our own."

After speaking with Joshua and returning to her room, Emilia speaks as she offers Subaru a seat. Subaru seats himself there and chuckles,

Subaru: "Leaving Otto's panic aside as a legend for future generations, I basically always support your ideas, Emilia-tan. But if I'm gonna mention something to be worried about, it'd have to be the fact that they're ready and waiting for us."

Emilia: "I don't think Anastasia would take risks anyway, if she's sending messengers. Mimi-chan may've been there, but Joshua-kun still took control when I tried to take control."

Subaru: "She recognizes you as an opponent if she's sending her Knight's family as her messenger. I always wondered why in Sengoku dramas, when they send important people as messengers, they don't just kill them. But turns out there's all this background stuff. Didn't think I'd be learning that by experience."

It's a question of trust between the parties and the people.

If the people learn that the rulers acted unjustly, it harms the ruler's standing. And each faction faces too many enemies to be acting disgracefully. Otherwise, since a group faces more clandestine enemies the larger it grows, it's simple logic to be careful when challenging influential people.

—The meeting with Joshua Euclius is over, and night has fallen upon the new Roswaal Mansion.

Since it would be awful to send them back on the same day they arrived, they offered to let Joshua and Mimi stay the night, and accepted the invitation to Pristella City.

Joshua had been rather imposing when discussing the topic, but everyone saw his relief peeking through when their side accepted the invitation. His monocle was likely just a decoration to garner a certain impression from others, the earnest young lad.

Subaru: "He's way more likeable than his brother."

Emilia: "You are always so insincere about Julius. Do you still have a grudge from that time in the palace?"

Emilia catches Subaru's mutter, and amusedly pokes fun at him.

Just thinking about the affair used to make his face redden in shame, and his stomach burn with indignation. But how about now that some time has passed?

Subaru: "It's still too vivid for me to laugh and smile about it. I was young back then. And I have reflected on my actions. Wish he'd do the same."

Emilia: "But I heard you both apologized and made up. It's so uncool to give shallow apologies and keep simmering on the inside."

Subaru: "Mnngh... But I'm only human!"

Emilia looks at him reproachfully, but Subaru remains stubborn.

Subaru looks away. Emilia frowns at him for a moment, but ultimately can't hold back her grin.

Emilia: "Fine. Subaru, you are just so stubborn. But you're not allowed to fight with Julius if we see him in Pristella. You're a knight now, and knights mustn't misuse their power."

Subaru: "Yeah yeah you've bested me my Liege."

Subaru covers up his blushing with some jokes and rubs at his upper lip.

He gazes absently around Emilia's room, before seeming to remember something,

Subaru: "Oh yeah, Emilia-tan. I don't really know much about Pristella, is it known for anything?"

Emilia: "Hmp, you need to study more, Subaru. Pristella is one of the five main cities of Lugnica, on the Tigracy River that marks the border with Kararagi. It's famous for being built right on a huge lake, with canals flowing through the city."