[4.5] FINALE: A NONSENSE DANCE, UNDER THE MOONLIGHT

—Subaru has been in this hall before, but it looks nothing like how he remembers it.

Candelabra line the red carpet. The flickering of their crimson flames steeps the room in further formality, prompting everyone in attendance to straighten their posture.

Almost all of the important people of the mansion stand evenly by the wall. Which means the main players of this story, but also includes some attendants from the Milord household.

Assembling only people relevant to Subaru means monopolizing the assembly with his ingroup.

Even he understands that many more people must play witness to this event.

But, having said that, should they truly have brought all of the Lewes doubles along?

Lewes nodded at him, telling him not to worry about it, but of course it's going to nag at him. Although he knows that the girls are harmless unless directed, the uncertainty over what they might possibly do unsettles him.

Though, everyone else must share that same anxiety, except about Subaru.

There are so many points worthy of ridicule among the people here.

All the main players are primly dressed in formalwear, which is hilarious.

Nevermind Roswaal and Anne-Rose, who seem accustomed to the outfits: Otto and Garfiel look even more awkward in their getups than Subaru. And disregard how Garfiel scrunches up his face, irked by his stuffy collar, Otto hasn't even noticed how blatantly awkward he looks. Guy's a riot.

The servants include Frederica and Clind, who are always in formalwear. Subaru does have some qualms about Ram, who stands with them in her maid outfit as if this is entirely reasonable. But once he sees what is beside her, his breath catches.

A blue-haired girl, seated in a chair.

Her eyes are closed. Naturally. She is still asleep. Subaru resents how considerate Ram was to bring her here, and have her attend the ceremony. He resents how Ram smirks at him, announcing that she was the one who proposed this.

Subaru looks further along to find Petra gazing at him, finely dressed as he is, with pride. Her dress amplifies her splendour, and she shines brightly enough to match Anne-Rose and Beatrice. She's meant to be a simple village girl, so how do you explain her composure here? Beatrice wears the same outfit as always, but her expression towards Subaru is gentle. Her flushed cheeks remind him of their exchange in the dressing room, which starts making Subaru embarrassed as well.

And standing before him—

"—"

—Is a silver-haired girl, waiting.

In her ceremonial outfit, Emilia enchants Subaru with an utterly new kind of brilliance.

Her silver hair shimmers like moonlight, and her amethyst eyes glimmer like jewels. Her face is tantalizingly beautiful as she purses her lips, apparently tense about this vital ceremony.

The outfit amplifies the purity that Subaru usually feels about Emilia, hallowed as a priestess' vestments, lined with sublime gold that keenly announces the nobility and seriousness of this ritual.

The instant that Subaru sights her, everything in his head falls hush.

The last vestiges of his bubbling emotions disperse, and everything except Emilia disappears from his mind.

He is absolutely not going to make a mockery of this ceremony, or of the people watching.

What does he need to do? Who does he need to be looking at? Where is his heart sitting? No need to tell him. He already knows.