Chapter 1

********

I don't know if anyone will read this, but I really hope at least a few people will. So if you're reading this, thank you! Like I said in my last fic, please tell me what you think in the comments! I know things are changed up and not every detail corresponds with the show, but hey, it's called fanFICTION for a reason. Anyway, I hope you enjoy my story!

*********

Rachel slid the soft blue sweater she always kept in her locker for these moments over her head and sighed. That was the fourth slushie this week, and it’s only Wednesday. She didn’t know if she’d ever be able to get the feeling of sticky blue corn syrup off her skin. Rachel just smoothed her sweater down and left the bathroom. She couldn’t be late to AP Bio again or Ms. Richards would give her a week of detention. She was almost to her class when Sarah Smith, one of Sue’s Cheerios, stuck her foot out and tripped Rachel, sending her papers and books flying all over the hallway.

“Oops,” Sarah said with a sly smile. “Sorry, Man Hands, I didn’t see you there.” She and the rest of the girls she was walking with burst out laughing as they continued on to their next class, and Rachel was left to scramble for her scattered materials. People just walked around her, pretending she wasn’t there, just like they did every other time. A few people gave her sympathetic looks as they passed, but Rachel just ignored them, too consumed in her own misery to care about their meaningless sympathy.

God, she missed Kurt. Since he transferred to Dalton Academy, Rachel’s life only got worse. The bullying had picked up slightly, but that wasn’t even the biggest problem. Rachel and Kurt had never really been friends because of their rivalry in glee club, but they had been there for each other when it counted. Whenever one was tripped in the hallway or shoved into the lockers, the other would always help them up and dust them off. Rachel couldn’t count the times Kurt had helped her wash a slushie out of her hair. She hadn’t realized how much she relied on him until she couldn’t any more, and her life has been on a downward spiral from the very minute Kurt announced his transfer.

Rachel barely made it to her class in time, sliding into her seat just as the bell went off. She pretended not to notice the annoyed glance she got from Ms. Richards and got herself organized. Just one more hour, Rachel, she told herself. One more hour and then glee club. You can do this.

When at long last Rachel heard the merciful shrill of the bell, she had to keep herself from sprinting out of the classroom. She was so caught up in her excitement for the end of the day she didn’t even notice the large boy with a football jersey looming ahead of her. By the time she saw him it was too late. Rachel felt the freezing cold ice sting her face and drip down her clothes, letting out a little shriek of surprise. The boy just chuckled and kept walking while Rachel scraped the ice from her face. Tears of humiliation burned in her eyes, stinging  almost as much as the corn syrup. She rushed into the nearest bathroom and quickly locked the door behind her once she confirmed it was empty. She slid to the floor and buried her face in her hands, letting out a deep sob. Enough, Rachel, she thought. You’re better than this.

Rachel slowly washed the slushie off her face and out of her hair, but she didn’t have any more spare clothes; the blue sweater was the last clean shirt she had in her locker. She’d just have to wear it to glee.

When Rachel walked into the choir room, only a few people bothered to look at her. The ones that did only glanced at her stained sweater and continued whatever conversation they were having. The only one to show the slightest bit of concern was Finn, his eyes widening upon seeing Rachel’s disheveled form.

“Woah, what happened, Rach?” he said, his eyes locking on her blotchy sweater before focusing on her eyes, trying to read the emotion there.

Rachel just smiled through her misery, trying to act like she was fine and that she didn’t care. “Oh, I’m fine. Just a little slushie facial, is all,” Rachel tried to giggle, like she thought it was funny, but the noise sounded forced and tight, like she was choking instead of laughing.