Chapter 15

The rest of Rachel’s classes passed quickly, and the final bell was ringing before she knew it. Rachel hummed her audition song as she walked to the auditorium, her bag slung over her shoulder. This was it. The moment she’d been looking forward to all day.

“You can do it,” she whispered to herself. “Show them you’re a star.”

She pushed the auditorium doors open and immediately looked around for Nicky. Rachel spotted the brunette stretching in one of the aisles. She was wearing a loose tank top and yoga shorts, her hair tied back in a tight pony tail. Nicky saw Rachel and smiled, waving her over.

She let out a small shriek. “Are you excited?!” she asked, shaking Rachel by her shoulders. Her voice was high pitched, her eyes wide and sparkling.

“Are you okay?” Rachel asked cautiously. She didn’t know if she should be amused or frightened by Nicky’s sudden energy.

“I’m fine,” she said, waving her hand dismissively. “I just drank, like, three Red Bulls before I came here, so I’m feeling absolutely amazing. I feel like I could run a marathon!”

“You might want to cool it with the energy drinks,” Rachel said, a laugh escaping her. “You’re practically vibrating.”

The girls laughed, and Nicky tugged Rachel to the stage. They looked out over the seats, which Rachel was just realizing were empty. Her and Nicky were the only ones in the auditorium.

“Where is everyone?” Rachel asked.

Nicky grinned. “They should be here any second,” she said.

Just then, the doors opened and the rest of Vocal Adrenaline walked in, single file, and sat in the front row. They were wearing matching black sweatshirts that had “Carmel High School” printed on the front. Rachel was having serious deja vu. She remembered standing on the stage at McKinley in her “funky” costume last year, addressing Jesse and the rest of Vocal Adrenaline before the glee club put on one their best performances ever.

Rachel waited for someone to say something, but they stayed silent. “What’s going on?” she whispered to Nicky.

“Just wait,” she said, bouncing on the balls of her feet. Rachel was surprised the girl’s lips hadn’t split with the stress of her huge smile.

The doors burst open, shattering the silence. Mr. Careisy’s silhouette stood in the doorway.

“RACHEL BERRY!” he bellowed, making Rachel jump. He glided down the aisle and stood in front of the seated students. “It is my understanding that you would like to join the ranks of the one and only Vocal Adrenaline. Am I correct?” He looked up at Rachel expectantly.

Rachel had no idea what was going on. This was one of the strangest things that had ever happened to her. “Yes, you are correct,” she said, trying to put some conviction behind her voice. She had a feeling that none of this was random; she was going through some type of initiation. The most bizarre initiation Rachel had ever seen.

“Wonderful!” he said, clapping his hands. “Then let’s begin! I was going to save your audition for the end of rehearsal, but I was just so excited, I couldn’t wait! Anyway, the school band is at your disposal.” He did a sweeping gesture to the doors.

On cue, what Rachel assumed to be the school band marched into the auditorium and onto the stage. A curtain about fifteen feet back from the front of the stage parted to reveal a whole assortment of instruments. The band members took position behind their instruments. “They are well versed in all genres and ages of music,” Mr. C continued. “So it’s unlikely they won’t know your songs. And for tradition’s sake, I’ll hear your solo first. Though I assume Miss Oakman will be your duet partner?”