Chapter 6

After Rachel told her fathers about her choice, the rest of the weekend was a blur. She stayed in her room for the most part, filling out the application for Carmel and fretting about how she was going to tell her friends. Her fathers had been very persuasive with the head of admissions at Carmel, and they said that she would start the very next Wednesday. Monday would be her last day at McKinley, and she would spend Tuesday out with her fathers, picking up her books and her school uniform. Everything was happening so fast, and before she knew it, the weekend was over.

Today’s the day, she thought when she was getting ready for school Monday morning. I have to tell them today. I have to tell them I’m leaving.    

Nerves twisted Rachel’s stomach into knots just at the thought. What was she going to say? What could she say to make them understand? She decided not to tell them where she was transferring to. Not right away. They would be mad enough as it is, they didn’t need another reason to hate her.

She would tell them at glee rehearsal after school. She had it all planned out: she’d interrupt Mr. Shue while he was explaining this weeks lesson and walk dramatically to the front of the room, launching into a speech about how much she loved the glee club, and how much she wished that it hadn’t come to this point, then she would announce her transfer. Before she left the class, she’d thank Mr. Shue for being the best teacher she’d ever had, and then she’d thank the rest of the glee club for (almost) always being there for her. Then she would walk out of the choir room and out of McKinley and never look back.

Rachel was confident with her choice all day, knowing that she was doing the right thing for herself. She wouldn’t care when Santana made a cruel comment about not missing her, or when they all accused her of being selfish. She would have to hold her head high and stand her ground, something she hadn’t had the courage to do before.

But as the day came to an end and it was finally time for Rachel to make her announcement, she felt nerves creep their way into her stomach and under her skin. She really didn’t want to disappoint her friends, especially Finn. God, what would he think about all of this? Would he think she was a coward for running away from her problems? Rachel didn’t like how much Finn’s opinion mattered to her. She shouldn’t care what he thinks of her decision, but she did. She really didn’t want to let him down.

Her nervous thoughts consumed her mind as she made her way to the choir room. She sat in the front row so it would be easy for her to get up and make her announcement, and she watched as one by one, everyone arrived in the choir room. Rachel’s heart skipped a beat when Finn walked in, giving her a small smile as he made his way to a seat in the back. To her own horror, Rachel felt herself beginning to doubt her decision at the sight of Finn. The only thing that got the awful feeling of regret out of her stomach was seeing Finn sit down in the seat next to Quinn, leaning over to whisper something in her ear. The twisting pain in her stomach moved to her heart, and she turned around, unable to watch the not-so-subtle flirtation. When all the seats were finally filled, Mr. Shue began talking to the class.

“Okay, everyone,” he started. “Regionals is only a few months away, and we have some really hard competition. We have to bring everything we have if we want to beat Dalton and Vocal Adrenaline, but I think we can do it. With hard work and determination, we’ll be heading straight to Nationals. But everyone needs to bring their A-game. We’ve been relying solely on one or two voices for a while now,” he looked directly at Rachel when he said this, as did everyone else in the room, and she felt red creeping into her cheeks, “but that won’t cut it this time. Everyone needs to kill this if we want to win. No offense to you, Rachel, I just-”

“No, Mr. Shue,” Rachel quickly interrupted. “You don’t have to apologize. I’m actually really glad that you’d say that, because their is something that I have to say.” She rose slowly from her seat and walked to the front of the room, turning to face her friends. They were all giving her strange looks, like they couldn’t believe that Rachel Berry would be okay with not being the center of attention. She took in a long, shaky breath, her stomach turning with nerves. It’s time. You have to tell them now. You can do this. Just say it.