Chapter 10

Jesse made a last attempt to get her to go out on the walk to her car.

“Are you sure?” he said. “There’s this new little restaurant down the road that has the best pasta-”

“For the last time,” said Rachel, gripping her last shred of patience. “I have plans. I can’t bail on Kurt.”

“Kurt?” he asked. “Who’s Kurt?” His words were quick and Rachel thought she heard an edge of panic in them.

“A friend of mine,” she said, unlocking her car and throwing her bag into the passenger seat. “I don’t get to see him that often. Ever since he transferred to Dalton…” Rachel trailed off. Why was she giving him the details? It was just so easy to forget her resentment for the curly haired boy standing next to her.

“Kurt Hummel?” Jesse asked, looking surprised and slightly relieved.

“Yes,” Rachel said slowly, narrowing her eyes. “How did you know?”

“Oh, he’s all over the show choir blogs,” he said with a smile. “The Dalton page hasn’t stopped posting about their ‘new addition’ since Sectionals. I think the guy who runs the page has a huge crush on him on something. Brian, was it? Blake?”

“Blaine,” said Rachel, a grin spreading on her face. On the few occasions that Rachel spoke with Kurt since he first started attending Dalton, all he could talk about was the hot, brown eyed Warbler that sang like an angel and had a smile that could cure cancer.

“That’s it!” Jesse said, snapping his fingers. “That boy is head-over-heels for your friend.”

Rachel was suddenly very anxious to see Kurt and share the gossip. She hopped into her car and twisted the key in the ignition.

“What’s the hurry?” asked Jesse. He had his arm against the top of her door and was leaning into her open window.

“My plans, remember?” Rachel glanced at the clock. It was only 3:15. She still had forty-five minutes before she had to meet up with Kurt.

“You’re not going to say goodbye?” he said, his pout slightly distorted by his efforts to fight the smile from creeping onto his face.

Rachel rolled her eyes, but her grin didn’t falter. “Goodbye, Jesse. I’ll see you tomorrow.” She tuned to look at him and her breath caught in her throat. His face couldn’t have been more than two inches away from hers. His green eyes burned into hers and his minty breath was warm on her face.

“See you tomorrow,” he said in a low, husky voice. He straightened with a smug smile and walked back towards the school. It took Rachel a minute to relax her suddenly stiff muscles enough to put her hands on the wheel and pull out of the parking lot. The blush didn’t leave her face until she got to Breadstix.

She still had a half hour before Kurt got there, so she decided to work on some homework. Rachel was lost in her English essay when she heard a sharp rapping on her window. Her heart nearly jumped out of her chest and a small shriek escaped her lips.

“Oh, don’t be so dramatic, Berry,” Kurt said, his voice muffled by the glass.

“Jesus, Kurt!” Rachel exclaimed, her heart pounding frantically and her breath uneven. “Don’t do that!”

She opened the door and stepped out onto the pavement. Kurt was staring at her with his arms crossed over his Dalton blazer. His eyes traveled the length of her body, and he shook his head.

“What?” Rachel asked, feeling self-conscious. She tugged at the hem of her skirt nervously.

“I have to admit,” he said. “When Finn told me about your transfer, I didn’t really believe him.”