Chapter 31

Tobias

"Important? Now, that's interesting. I thought it was just an idea for an experiment? Well, let me set this straight: I'm convinced there's more to this idea than what you've told me so far. I can see it in the way you behave. You're nervous, although you're trying to cover it. You're not here to speak for Dauntless as a faction. You seem to have your own agenda, and I think your colleagues don't know why exactly you're here."

Oh. I thought I'd do a better job hiding my intentions and playing the average Dauntless member. Johanna must notice that I'm struggling with her analysis of the situation.

"You may not know, but I was born Candor. I'm very aware of body language and reading subtle signs from someone's voice and words is easy for me."

That's in fact new to me. I didn't know her faction of origin was any other than Amity, but probably even with that information I would not have been able to hide my true emotions well enough. What can I do now? The only chance I have is to be as honest with her as I can be. Would the others support that strategy? Would Tris approve of it? She doesn't have as many problems when it comes to trusting people as I have. She'd open up to Johanna without giving her too many details, using her brain and trusting her instincts, like she did with Caleb. I should follow her example and take a leap of faith. Johanna at least speaks for a faction that strives for peace.

"Okay, Johanna, I have to admit you're right with your observations. There's more behind that idea."

"That much is obvious. So would you like to share your information with me? I want to know what this really is about before I hand out our serum to the warrior faction, otherwise my answer to your request is no. It's up to you."

I expected this answer. I think of Tris, think of the trust she's able to put in her friends and family, and especially in me. I don't want to let her down, and I don't want to let my friends down either. I take a deep breath and another swig of juice before I start talking.

"There are people and events that currently threaten the peace within our city. Two factions, or rather their leaders, are planning an attack against another one to gain more power and establish a new government. I'm part of a group of friends who are trying to prevent serious fighting and unnecessary deaths, and we have come up with a plan, but if we want to have at least a chance to convert it to action, we need some peace serum."

I sigh. Now that the words are out, there's no taking them back. I start to panic for a moment when I realize what I've just told Johanna. Now our fate is in her hands.

"Don't get nervous about having said too much. It's okay, I consider this conversation confidential."

I blow out air that I wasn't aware of holding.

"So, if I understood this correctly, Dauntless and Erudite leaderships are planning to start a war against Abnegation, and they even hazard the consequence of killing people, or maybe even plan to take lives. And you've put together a team to stop them and you need peace serum to continue with your activities."

I'm taken aback by the summary that proves how her sharp mind has put all the pieces together. I can't back out anymore, the only way out of this and to get what I want is to go through. I nod.

"That's correct."

"Well, I need to think about this for a while. It would usually be an issue to discuss in a faction meeting, but I understand why that's not possible at the moment, as it would put you and your allies in danger, and we'd risk our neutrality."

"Your neutrality?"

Really, this is what she's thinking about in this situation?

"It's part of our faction's tradition not to get involved in any conflicts, no matter what they are about. I see how this might be difficult to grasp for a Dauntless soldier, but let me reassure you that it's perfectly reasonable for any Amity member. I suggest you go out to help your colleagues with their work in the fields while I take a walk and think about what you've told me. Then we'll meet again in an hour and I'll tell you my decision."