Chapter 27

CADENCE'S POV

As I wait at the cafe playing with the spoon in my coffee cup, waiting for Stephan and Mara, I start thinking about Luke and where I see us going. Part of me still sees that dream. I can see us getting married but not ever adopting kids. I see us traveling every where, not really settling down with roots. I wrote kids off along time ago. But lately the idea of having kids seems more and more appealing. The fact that we've never talked about the future is odd to me. 

"Hi mon amour." Hearing his voice snaps me out of my thoughts. There he is, standing at his tall 6'1", wearing a black beanie, a long sleeve white shirt with blue flecks that fits snug showing the outline of his muscles, faded blue jeans, a pair of black chucks, and his face is scruffy. Damn he is a beautiful man. I can do this friendship thing easy. (Yeah right Cadence. You may need to wipe the drool from your mouth.)

"Hi Stephan

"Hi Stephan. Where's Mara?"I asked while looking around. He sits in front of me and takes my coffee from me and starts drinking it. "What the fuck are you doing?" I say annoyed that he seriously just took my caffeine away from me. 

"I was watching you play with it for the last couple minutes so I figure it was going to waste. Plus it's getting cold out there and needed to warm up." He holds the coffee cup to his lips while talking to me and my scowl never leaves my face. But he's right. I don't know when the weather switched to being so chilly. It was already the middle of November. I don't know where the time went.  Shit Thanksgiving is in 2 weeks. That means Luke will be gone. Well that's just fan-fucking-tastic! "Ok here mon amour. You can have your coffee back if it will get that pout off your face." 

"No it's ok. I was just thinking that Thanksgiving is only a couple weeks away and I'll be spending it alone. Sarah Beth always goes home to her family, Luke is gone, and you.."

"I'm leaving in a week." 

"Yeah. But it's ok. I'll spend the time painting. I haven't done any painting since I got back. It will be nice to be able to do that with no distractions. Anyways, where's Mara?" I ask as a server brings over another coffee cup and a french press ready to go. Stephan pours me a cup and hands it to me, putting his hands up after "There now you can stop with the evil glares." He does a little chuckle after saying it, causing me to laugh too.

"As for Mara she wasn't feeling well. So it's just us. Is that ok?" 

"I guess I can suffer with just you." I say rolling my eyes with a smile on my face.

We sit there and talk about Luke, his tour, why Stephan is going back to France, and just life in general. It was nice to just sit and talk. There's no sexual innuendos, no pawing at each other under the table, we are just sitting talking, getting to know each other as friends, maybe even on a deeper level. Maybe this friendship thing won't be so hard? 

"So mon amour are you happy?" Well that's the million dollar question isn't it?

"I'm not sure how to answer that Stephan. Are you happy?" I ask trying to flip the tables on him.