Confessions

Lady had become more and more irritated with Cindy. Nothing surprising as Kenneth was not discrete at all, it was so glaring. He is not cunning enough to get away with cheating. He kept stealing glances at Cindy as he felt uneasy anytime she was around. He tried to pull her aside sometimes to have a talk with her, but she refused. 

Some of our other friends picked up on the awkwardness between them and asked Lady about it. So, Cindy started talking about a guy named John, and we had a pyjama party during which John was the main subject. The very next day, Cindy was going out with him.

The real goal was to distract Lady, making her think that whatever suspicions may be rising in her mind should be erased. But it didn't work. Her classmates, especially Cassie, kept telling her that something was up. It didn't take long for the gossip, started by Cassie, to spread like wildfire. Anytime Lady and Kenneth walked through the corridors, ate at the cafeteria, they had to pretend to be deaf.

"Is it true?" "There's no way, not them" "It was bound to happen" "I can't believe he was just playing with her" "Didn't she know?"

Kenneth became a player, and Lady the idiot that let herself get played.  

I was so concerned by the whole story that when Shasha brought Orson to the group one morning all of a sudden, instead of worrying about that I was worried about how Lady treated Cindy. 

It's not that I didn't care, it was very important to me, but the whole Orson-Shasha thing came in second for the next few days, because three very good friends of mine were having a hard time. I couldn't even enjoy the fact that Orson had finally joined our circle, it hardly hit me.

That Saturday Cindy came by my house, this time I felt it was best to just tell Lady everything, and after a long discussion, that's what we decided to do. So on Sunday, it was Lady's turn to come, and I let Cindy tell her what happened. She listened carefully to every word without interrupting. Then finally she stunned us with the first thing she said.

"I know."

She sat on the couch as still as a statue, looking blankly at nothing. Neither Cindy nor I knew what to say.

"I saw you," she continued. "I didn't want to believe it. I tried to play dumb, then others started talking and I tried blame it on you. I can't even act like I don't know because he's too stupid to lie or hide something."

"Lady," I held her hand but she didn't look at me, "Before you make any rash decision, you should talk to him first, hear what he has to say."

"She's right," Cindy added sitting a bit away from her. "Calm down, take time to think. He clearly just lost his mind for a moment."

"Alright," Lady got up after letting out a sigh. Then she moved to Cindy, sat next to her and gave her a hug. "I'm sorry about the way I acted towards you even though I knew it wasn't your fault."