5

It felt like no time before we were standing at my front door. There we were, just me and Carter. The guy who didn't write my note, but was completely amazing nevertheless. He looked at me for a moment and I thought I saw affection in his eyes, but I couldn't quite tell.

"I had a great time with you tonight Crimson. I'm glad I decided to do this." He smiled at me and stepped closer, grabbing my hand.

"So am I." I breathed, trying to stay calm despite his close proximity.

I watched him carefully as he put his hand on my cheek and began to lean in. His lips were inches away from mine when we heard the door open.

"Oh hey, I didn't realize you guys were back. I was just leaving to go to a friend's. Sorry to interrupt." Asher says with a sly grin on his face.

He lingered at the door for a moment before heading out to his car. I wondered what friend he could be going to see at this time of night. It was already almost midnight, and we have school in the morning.

"Sorry about that." I chuckled nervously after I made sure Asher was completely out of the driveway.

"No worries. It's getting pretty late though, I should probably head home. I'll see you tomorrow?" He said, squeezing my hand quickly before letting it go.

"Yeah, see you later." I said, trying not to let the disappointment in my voice show.

I walked inside the house and headed straight for my room. Carter was honestly amazing. After my shyness started to wear off, I began to see that talking to him turned out to be totally effortless. I felt like I had known him for years.

I pictured his perfect features and bright smile in my head and sighed I knew this feeling and it never ended well. Yet I still found myself grinning at the thought of him anyways.

A few minutes later I heard somebody come in the front door. Before I knew it Asher was standing at the foot of my bed.

"So how'd the date go?" He asked eagerly.

"It went great actually. What are you doing home so early though? I thought you were going to a friend's house?" I asked.

"I was just going to drop something off that Jackson left here the other day." He said.

He didn't have any reason to lie to me that I knew of, but for some reason I couldn't help but feel like he was.

"Okay then, well we should probably get to bed, we have school tomorrow." I reminded him.

"Yeah, wouldn't want to miss a day of school. You might miss another note from your little admirer." He teased.

"Oh, shut up and go to bed." I said, rolling my eyes.

As much as I loved my brother, he could still be a real pain sometimes.

     With that he finally retreated to his room and I found myself alone with my thoughts. I laid there alone and unable to sleep, because all I could do was replay the events of the night over and over in my head. Especially the part where I almost got kissed.

Of course Asher of all people would have the worst possible timing and ruin it.

I tried to tell myself it would happen next time. That was of course, assuming there was a next time. I was contemplating what the chances of that happening were when I heard my phone buzz.

It was from Carter.

It looked like my chances had just increased.