09 ☂ Necessary Details

UNREVISED

A fat, white cat chose that exact moment to claw her way on top of that waiter's – Adrien's – head and let out the loudest yowl possible. The moment ruined, his proclamation momentarily forgotten, the boy reeled back from Marinette as his hands shot up to steady the needy feline.

Théo forced himself to smother his annoyance with a loud laugh, seizing the interruption as an opportunity to regain Marinette's attention. Plucking the lollipop stick from his mouth, he snapped, "In that case. We'll take a vanilla frappé with extra cream, a chocolate chip muffin slightly warmed, and a mug of hot milk with a teaspoon of honey."

I've finally revealed my human form to her – you're not going to steal this moment from me!

If human bodies had tails, Théo's would've been bristling. How dare this new waiter, still wet behind the ears, order Marinette to "fall in love" with him?! He'd never heard anything more audacious in his life!

He assessed Adrien with narrowed eyes and ground teeth as Alya piped up with her order. He'd lived in this café for the better part of five years, both as a cat and sometimes as a sculptor, but not once had a suitor as raucous as this approached Marinette.

Hell, no suitors have approached her to date! And it's a good thing too, otherwise I would've ー

"Wow!" Marinette interrupted that particular thought, having turned to him with wide, starry eyes. God, I'll do anything to have look at me like this forever. "That's exactly what I usually get! Down to the warm muffin!"

Now firmly in the background, Adrien set the cat on the ground and shooed her away. Théo fought the urge to grin triumphantly, instead popping the end of his chewed stick back in his mouth as he sidled closer to Marinette.

"Really?" He raised an eyebrow in faux surprise, gasping a little as he sold his lie. "I simply thought the frappés here were absolutely wonderful – and muffins make for a great brunch, no?"

He joined her with a smooth chuckle as she giggled, casting a sly eye Adrien's way. The waiter was still glowering, scribbling in his notebook with barely controlled anger as the white cat padded around. Théo knew he wouldn't hesitate to exercise every advantage he had to win Marinette's heart, and Adrien didn't stand a chance.

After all, he knew everything about her.

Your favourite foods, your hobbies. Your friends and aspirations and worries. I know them all, Marinette.

Théo looked back to the blue-haired girl, revelling in her presence like there was no one else in the room. They'd been together for so long, he and Marinette. Even if his body changed, even if he grew from winding around her feet to towering over her head... his feelings would stay the same. He wanted to rub the strands of blue hair falling from her ponytail between his fingers. He wanted to stroke the length of her soft, warm cheek. He wanted to lavish her in all the affection and love she'd given him.

I want to love you like you love me as a cat.

"Will that be all?" Adrien's smile was brittle as he glared at Théo. A moment passed between them, the air full of undisguised challenge.

"Yes, that will be all," he answered, dismissing his sudden rival.

You don't know what you've signed up for.