CHAPTER ONE

CHAPTER ONE
SUNDAY
6:39 PM
..

CHAPTER ONESUNDAY6:39 PM

..

The two sat in silence, rain dropping from the roof and onto their feet. The girl shaking as loud sobs wracked her body, the boy still as can be with his hands gripping his knees, not knowing what to do.

That was the day Eddie Kaspbrak actually met Six Zimmerman, a rainy day in mid May. It was kind of cold that day, but he decided to go outside anyway. Just to sit on the porch for a minute, get some fresh air. Any air was better than the stale air of his room that he'd been breathing for the past 2 days, while his mom wouldn't let him leave because of the weather.

That's when he saw her, sitting on her side porch across the road, arms wrapped tightly around her legs as rain fell onto the roof above her. She was just wearing a teeshirt and shorts, and from across the street they looks a lot like pajamas.

He swallowed the panicked lump in his throat, as he slowly went back inside his house, opening the door slowly as he tried his best to not wake his mother up. He grabbed one of his jackets from the closet in the hall, quickly leaving out the front door again. He stared at her for a couple second again before sucking in a deep breath, making his way down his front steps and across the street.

Eddie knew who she was, everyone knew who Six Zimmerman was. It was a small town, it wasn't very hard to be infamous. He couldn't count the times he'd seen an ambulance be called to the small yellow house across the street, overdosed mother's boyfriend after overdosed mother's boyfriend being wheeled out in a fleeting frenzy.

You get a reputation in Derry, and you're stuck with it until or if you ever get out of the small Maine town. And Six Zimmerman's was a rough one.

Dead beat, drugged up mother must mean a dead beat, drugged up daughter, right?

But Eddie Kaspbrak had been sneaking curious glances at the girl across the road for years, never once had he seen anything but maybe a few cigarettes being smoked at odd hours of the night.

His footsteps against the wet pavement made Six look up, her eyes were puffy and wet, and the most frightened eyes he'd ever seen. They soon softened as she sniffed, rubbing her nose roughly as she just looked at him.

"Hi," he finally choked out, his eyes flickering down to her, now soaked, sock clad feet, "Are you okay?"

"I-," she looked back at the door behind her back, letting out a small, breathy laugh, "I'm fine, I got locked out"

"Is your mother home?" he gently pressed another question at her, testing the waters, not wanting her to explode.

"Oh, yeah she's home alright," the brunette girl sniffed, her eyes getting glassier as she turned her back on the porch door again, "She locked me out"