CHAPTER FIVE

CHAPTER FIVE
TUESDAY
6:25 PM
..

CHAPTER FIVETUESDAY 6:25 PM

..

"Thanks for coming today," Eddie mumbled, breaking the almost silence of the sound of Six's bike chain rattling as it dragged on the ground. Her chain had popped off a little bit after they parted ways with Richie and Stan, but they both opted to just walk home anyway, "I think the guys really like you"

"I really like them," she smiled to herself, her fingers gripping her bike handles tightly as she dragged it along, "Thanks"

"For what?" he said, looking over at her, almost tripping over his shoelaces. Being around her made him even clumsier than he already was.

"Looking out for me, I guess," she shrugged, her eyes staying on the road in front of her, "I haven't had friends in a long time. Thanks for being the first person to actually think I deserve them again"

"Everyone deserves to have friends"

"What made you change your mind about me," she asked quietly, finally asking the question that'd been picking at her mind for days.

"Huh?"

"You used to avoid me like I was the plague, Kaspbrak," she laughed softly, "Which I guess I was. What made you change your mind?"

Eddie paused his feet, stopping in the middle of the street. They were getting close to their houses, too close for Eddie to have the conversation and then leave her alone again. So he stopped, and after a couple seconds, she did too, looking back at him.

"I started worrying about you instead of being scared of you," he said, feeling his fingers beginning to sweat, "I stopped ignoring you and started actually paying attention, I guess"

"To what?" she laughed, "I'm still the same I was two weeks ago"

"To how much you sit on your porch to cry," he muttered, watching her expression change all too quickly, "Sorry, I didn't mean to take things too fa-"

"No, it's fine," Six said, slapping a fake grin back onto her face, "Maybe I shouldn't cry on my porch that much"

Eddie let out a wry laugh, continuing to walk along side her. They got closer to their houses, Eddie's attention pulling to the little yellow one on the left side of the road. From where they stood they could hear things breaking inside, and voices yelling back and forth.

Six recognized the 'Jensen County Tow' truck sitting on the street in front of her house, sighing to herself, "Tommy hasn't left yet"

Eddie bounced up and down on his heels, looking back and forth from his house to the girl who sat next to him. He had to be home by 6:30 for dinner, last time he missed dinner his mom had almost called he police to find him. He couldn't do it again, she wouldn't let him hang out with his friends for like three weeks.