‡4‡ Of Warlords and Captives

Just a quick errand into town to fetch more cloth to make bandages.

That's what it should have been. With the influx of new patients from the rising border skirmishes, supplies were depleted very quickly, and it was a challenge to keep things in stock.

This was how one Tino Vainomoinen, displaced omega from another world, found himself walking back from the only fabric store near the village center one crisp autumn evening.

They three world travelers had no luck trying to travel back to their world in mirror pond. It turned out to be just a shallow pond.

In the meantime, while they broadened their search for a way back home, they had no choice but to adapt to this world.

After almost a year, they'd even gotten somewhat used to the strange clothes male omegas wore in this world... Mostly. Emil still insists that it is a dress.

It was, in fact, a long, just past calf length garment that overlapped in the middle with a high, almost chin level collar and laces all the way down below the knee. It had long sleeves and a thinner second layer often used as a nightshirt underneath that was just as long. It was accompanied by mid-calf high lace up leather boots. The underwear was something like a pair of loose legged shorts made of a flimsy material that still made Tino feel quite naked and drafty underneath. At least it covered most of his skin, save for his hands and face, from the leering eyes of the village alphas.

Speaking of which. Tino steadfastly ignored the catcalls from a nearby tavern as he passed by.

Animals the lot of them.

Tino still could not believe Yao spent eighteen years like this. Sometimes he couldn't help despairing over his dream lover who was as nonexistent now as decency in this world. He was thinking of resolving to never get mated. No way in hell was he being bonded to any of these apes. He'd much rather one of those rich douchebags his mom used to throw at him, at least then he would still have rights outside of the word of his husband. So a life of celibacy it would be. Gandhi did it, so could he.

One way to distract him from the swift death of his dreamboat was Yao's lessons on herbal remedies. He wasn't as good as Lukas, but it was some thing to keep him from going stir crazy goddamnit!

He and Lukas sort of became Yao's assistants over the year. Emil didn't really take to it as much so he simply helped Leon tend to the herb harden and other yard work.

Yao was incredibly grateful for the help, especially with the insurge of patients, and kept saying he didn't know what he would have done without the help.

It should have been an easy errand: run into town for some cloth, come straight back, but apparently fate had other plans.

It started off small, with a shout from the eastern part of the village causing Tino to pause. Suddenly a cacophony of screams rose nearby as well as... Smoke?

Looking back at it later that day, Tino would curse his curiosity for leading him towards the chaos, but it was already done. He was jogging towards the commotion, basket of cloth clenched under his arm.

It took only two turns in the road for the resulting scene to stop him dead in his tracks.

Before him were burning houses, screaming villagers and whooping, swarms of armored men on horseback cutting down men who tried to resist them. Splatters of dark red fell onto the earth as another alpha was nearly bisected before his very eyes.

Bile rose in his mouth like a flash and Tino was throwing up on the ground, gasping for air and choking on the smoke of the burning houses.

Dear god they were being pillaged.