Chapter 3: What is this friendship you speak of?

"Sooo, you got funky legs... OK, that was even worse." I stuttered.

Sammy laughed and said "No prob, dude. I could use the exercise." I hoped he was joking.

Alia rolled her eyes and said "He's joking. Listen, we got off on the wrong foot. So, we figured, since you're stuck with us while you're here, we should make some effort for a truce."

"Alia..."

"Ugh... fine." She groaned. "Sammy says that since you guys will probably be dorming together, we should be friends."

"Dude, I'm just trying to make sure you don't kill each other. I'm afraid, KK."

"Ugh, you are no fun, Sammy. So, anyway, what do you say Drake?"
I smiled, for what felt like the first time in weeks. I forgot all about the fact that this was punishment and replied;

"Sure, why not?"

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"So, there are 3 houses in AES." Alia was explaining how KIA functioned, as we came down for breakfast. Sammy had to take the elevator. "There is Aasha, the cool house, Ananya, the Hufflepuff equivalents, and Daya, house of evil. Don't let the name fool you. The house of Kindness, doesn't live up to it's name. Every year we have this huge blah blah blah sports blah blah blah bleblah camping blah blah blah blah, are you even listening?"

"Huh?" I'd zoned out. "I wasn't listening, could you repeat that?"
Alia looked disdainful, and rolled her eyes.
"It wouldn't hurt for you to be a bit nicer, by the way." She looked genuinely hurt that I wasn't paying attention.
"Ok, tell me about yourself." I said, in an effort to make conversation. "Where is your family from?"
She hesitated and said: "Maharashtra."
"Really? That's all you're gonna say?"
"Yeah, my mom's from Maharashtra."
"What about your dad?"
She looked really uncomfortable, and didn't say anything. When she did open her mouth to say something, Sammy appeared.
"Hello party people, what's up in funky town?" He was on a wheelchair, and was waggling his eyebrows like an idiot.
"So, has dear darling Drake met Jennifer yet?"
"Who's Je-" I started to ask, but just then a 4 tall girls over.
"Speak of the devil." Sammy said calmly.
"Devil is accurate." Alia said, a scowl on her face.
The girl who seemed like the leader had strawberry blonde hair and eyes so cold and icy, they could build a snowman with them.
"Hello Sammy," Her voice was high pitched, and icy. Something about her seemed cruel. "Alia."
"Jennifer." Alia spat out, equally cool.
"So, who's your new arm candy?" Jennifer drawled.
"He- He's no- not... He's not my arm candy. This is Drake." Alia stammered. "He is new."
"Well, obviously, since he's hanging out with losers like you, when he could hang out with anyone else."
Alia looked furious, like smoke coming out of her ears furious.
"What did you want, Jennifer?"
"Just wanted to check in on my favorite little terrorist." Jennifer replied, in a sickly sweet voice.
Alia seemed to clam up. Jennifer smiled, as if she had just done what she came to do. One of her friends, who I recognized as Janice Williams, grimaced, and looked at Alia apologetically. Jennifer and her posse sashayed back to their table, seeming smug.
"Alia, what were they talking about?"
"Nothing, just their type of a joke." Alia mumbled, blankly staring at her plate. She suddenly stood up.
"Well, I've lost my appetite. Excuse me."

Later, I went Sammy to check on her. Alia looked like she had been crying.

On a happier note, Mr. Collins is super awesome, he is super chill about homework, and doesn't care about our work as much as us. Like, he is the kind of teacher who will take the time to check in with us about ,y'know, feelings and stuff.

"So guys, it's the end of the first week, so what's coming up?" He asked, with his usual playful smirk.

As if on cue everyone, except me, shouted;

"CHANDINI CHOWK PATAKA!"

He laughed and said, "Spot on, guys! Now, for those of you who don't know what CCP is, CCP is the only teacher organised party of the year. Sure, you guys have your own celebrations in your common rooms, but this is the party that everyone looks forward to."

"So, are you guys gonna go?" We were walking back up to Aasha tower, when I decided that I wanted to go to this thing. What better chance to explore the fort? Alia however, groaned.

"You just had to remind him."

Sammy now looked so excited, I thought he was going to blow up.

"Does Bilal still have the rickshaw?"

"Sammy."

"We can go to the big Mohan Emporium..."

"Sammy."

"WE CAN GET MATCHING OUTFITS!"

"SAMMY."

I watched this strange conversation intently. Over the past week, I had tried more and more to fit in with my friends. They said I didn't need to.

"You're awesome as you are Drake. We wouldn't want you to change if you could." Sammy  had said, while Alia gagged in the back of the common room.

So, according to Alia, Sammy goes out of his way to design their outfits for the CCP. But, the only place he even deigns to buy cloth from is this emporium on the other side of the Jama Masjid.

"I was hoping he'd forget this year." Alia muttered, miserably.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
On Friday, we received mail from our parents. My Mom and Dad sent me a long letter detailing their new business deal with a hotel cooperation. Sammy got sent chocolate for his birthday, and Alia didn't get anything. She stared my letter almost wistfully, as she started typing up her essay on Student Government.
"How come you didn't get anything from your parents?" I asked her later, as we sat down in Humanities.
"Well, let's just say, my family isn't as well off as yours." She said, and she pulled out her computer and notebook.

Mr. Collins stood facing the blackboard, and wrote: EIA
He turned around and smiled at us.

"Who can tell me what EIA is?" He asked us, his eyes scanning the room.
"Empathy in Action."
"Very good, Ms. Williams. Now, what is empathy? Empathy is, according to the Google, the ability to understand and share the feelings of another. Now, what is EIA, then? As most of you know, EIA is a project we do every year in the Eight grade. Before the end of the first semester, we have a big presentation of ideas with the Board of Governors. Some of the ideas shown are actually currently in action. So, as homework, I want you all to write me a ten page essay on the meaning of Empathy, due on Tuesday. Now, back to Grapes of Wrath."

"Are there actually any good ideas that came from this?" I asked Sammy and Alia on the way out of class.
" Yeah, actually, the KG does a pen pal program with Kashmiri kids, as a form of peacemaking, which started in the 80's. That actually saved m... saved a kids life." said Alia.
"But, that's like, one thing, though."
"That one thing changed a kids life, Drake." Sammy said, incredulously. "It isn't such a frivolous thing."
"Yeah, I guess."
"So, are we still on for Mohan tomorrow?" Sammy asked, suddenly excited again.
"Sure."
"Fine."

I thought about what Sammy said. 'It isn't such a frivolous thing.' And with that on my mind I fell into a deep sleep.