Birthday:

On my 8th birthday, my mom was sick. Bilal had almost no cash to take me out anywhere. The Aasha kids made me a card. They tried for a cake too, but the almost blew up the kitchens. Mr. Collins and his husband took us out, instead of letting us sulk. I watched my first movie ever that day. It was the Lorax. Mr and Dr. Collins got us ice cream, and made us a cake. It was slightly burnt, but I didn't mind. It was one of the best days of my life.

This however, was one of the bad days. My mother and the closest thing I had to a dad were yelling at each other. Drake, Sammy, Janice and I were playing a game. It was called 'Pretending not to notice two of our favorite people yell at each other'. We were losing. It wasn't a fun game. 

"She was running a 104 degree fever a week ago!"
"She isn't running one now! Aren't you being a bit selfish?"
"Well, sorry that my daughters health is coming in the way of you losing some silly competition! Sorry your fragile male ego can't handle losing to your own husband!"
"Okay, our team is better than his team, even without my star!"
"We really aren't sir."
"Shut it, Sammy."

I was fed up.

"Ma, why can't I play? I feel fine!"

My mom looks genuinely worried at this point.
"Babu, you know that if you went out there you would get sick again."
"No, I wouldn't! I can prove it! I bet I can beat Drake and Bilal to a pulp at any sport, and still feel fine."
"Fine! Tomorrow, prove it!"
"I will!"

The rest of Aasha was looking at me like their favorite new drama show was on.
"Um, Alia? You might be able to beat Drake, but I'm am much better than you."
"Then, you can help Drake beat me."
"Wait, 2 vs 1? KK, I do-"
"Don't KK me. I can do this."

Drake and Bilal look worried.

"KK, We don't want you to lose. You take on anyone else, and you're in. You won't like being a loser."
"I'm not going to be a loser. I have never been a loser, and I never will be. I am a fighter. I am not going to surrender, because I, am a winner."

All night, I couldn't sleep. I kept telling myself, I am a winner. I am a winner. I tried to believe it too.