Chapter 4

Chapter 4:

"How am I... How are you..." I stuttered, searching my blank mind for the right words, words that wouldn't come to me.

"How am I here talking to you right now?" She clarified, amusement in her words despite the seriousness of the situation. I just nodded, too stupefied to speak. "Well, as you know I didn't inherit the power of magic from my mother. I took after my father, instead. But just because I don't have magic of my own doesn't mean I don't have connections here in the Spirit World to make this meeting happen with us. My mother is the reason you're here, but she wanted this to be just you and me. We do have a lot to talk about, after all."

"I can't believe I'm meeting you." I breathed out. "I seem to meet with a lot of dead people lately."

She laughed, a light, breathy laugh. It seemed to fit her perfectly. She was so regal, ethereal almost. She had a glow to her that wasn't natural to the human world, but was beautiful none the less. She had a mess of raven hair, tumbling over her shoulders and down her back, a slight wave to the smooth locks. Her russet eyes were glistening with tears, but they didn't fall, although she had a dried up trail of tears staining her ruddy cheeks.

I knew what she looked like – I had obviously seen pictures – but seeing her in person was different. It was obvious to me that Finnian had gotten his looks from his father, minus his tanned skin and dark hair. His father was Irish, so he was a pale, strawberry blonde haired man. Minus the drastic difference in certain aspects, Finnian had received his father's bone structure, nose, lips, smile, eyes, and build. And from what I'd heard, a lot of his personality traits as well. But I could see his mother in him. I could see the slight resemblance. He had received the best traits from both of them to make the most beautiful man I had ever seen.

"This must be unusual for you." She smiled at me softly, her tone understanding and compassionate.

"I would say yes, but nothing seems unusual to me anymore." I answered dryly, laughing slightly despite myself.

"You have had a rough time of things lately. I'm so sorry I couldn't help you more. But I hope you realize how happy I am that my Finnian was able to find you. You bring out a side of him that died a long time ago. You saved him."

I snorted in frustration. "If that were true, he would be with me right now. I'm the reason he's in the position he's in."

"Now stop that. You aren't to blame. Olga is to blame. She's a cancer to the living world that needs to be snuffed out." She sneered, the calm, serene look disappearing, a fierce, pissed off Queen in her place.

"Agreed. But if I hadn't been angry at him, if I hadn't blamed him-"

"Kendall," She moved forward, grabbing my hands in her cold, soft palms. "Finnian doesn't hold that against you. He loves you. He wouldn't want you to torture yourself because of this. You need to focus your energy on Olga, not your own self-blame."

"How do you know he still loves me? He won't even talk to me." My voice sounded small, broken. I had held it together in front of everyone else, but I couldn't in front of her. She was his mom. She made me miss my mom even more.

"That's not because he doesn't love you. He's protecting you." She replied softly.

"What do you mean?"

"Olga wants the Simeonov Gemstone. Sage told you that, yes?"

I just nodded, although she confirmed to me that Sage was who she said she was.