twenty three - rise

"What defines us is how well we rise after falling."

~ Lionel, Maid in Manhattan

•••

"Oh the ground, now!" Yells the royal guard, the one with the gun. Ivy has gone strangely calm. Scarily calm.

"Or what?" She asks, cocking her head to the side. She's gripping a knife in her right hand, one that's twice as long as the others. It's concealed behind the small of her back.

"You have five seconds before all of you are dead." The man says, his voice completely serious. A shiver runs up my spine, but I don't move. Ivy's got a plan. I can already tell.

Her eyes flick to Michael, who has been standing stock still since the elevator opening. She blinks once, twice, three times, and he gives a small nod.

Ivy turns to her attention back to the royal guard. "Well I guess that gives you less time, then." She says, and lunges.

The gun goes off. At the same time, Ivy swings the knife forward, and a massive clang rings through the room. One of the guards goes down, and by the time the man realizes she deflected the bullet Ivy is already on him.

The guards around him explode into action, and before I can even catch my breath, we're in the middle of it.

Michael rushes forward, taking on two guards heading straight towards us. He slits ones throat before he can get to him and kicks another, but he catches his foot and sends them both to the ground. Before I can yell for him, Ashton is shoving me out of the way and running to help.

"Surprise, bitch." A woman's voice says from behind me, and when I whip around I'm thrown backwards with the force of the punch delivered to my face. I stumble and almost fall, my vision clouding, before gathering my wits and gripping the knife at my side.

It's the same woman from when we first came in, the one who jerked me off the ground and kept me from helping Ivy. I recognize the short brown hair, the green eyes. She's armed with a large double sided axe. Anger flares through me, and my nose throbs.

I kick out, hard, landing a blow to her midsection that sends her flailing backwards. She's too surprised to react quickly, so I keep moving forward and slam my fist into her jaw, effectively knocking her to the floor.

She swings up with the axe, and manages to snag me in the elbow before I can jump back in time. The fabric of my shirt tears, blood soaking through, but I barely notice it.

She starts to get up so I kick her again, this time in the arm holding the axe. She swears, dropping it, and it clatters off to the side as I throw myself on top of her and pin the knife against her throat.

I don't know what has come over me. I just know that there's this instinct, mixing itself with the wild adrenaline running through my veins and creating something that I can't control.

"You're no killer." The woman laughs, and there's blood in her teeth.

Images are rapidly flooding through my head, images of blood pouring from Xavier's open throat, of the people who helped me survive slain dead on the bunker floor. All done by red suited people like this woman.