twenty six - shards

Everybody waiting for the fall of man
Everybody praying for the end of times
Everybody hoping they could be the one
I was born to run, I was born for this

Whatever It Takes - Imagine Dragons

•••

We find a small chamber in the back of the throne room, clearly specialized for Superior surveillance and transportation. A large computer rests on one side of the wall, much like the one in the AOSS bunker, while a small glass pod with all access buttons rests on the other. I've read about things like this. A Superior has to be ready to be anywhere anytime, and this includes places in their base. This station must be Nasim Kieran's.

"We can take the pod." Michael says, sliding the black door behind him. He had to smear some of Nasims blood on the panel to get it to open, but it worked, and that's all that matters. He heads straight for the computer. "Two at a time. Top floor, Northeast tower."

"Why top?" I ask, breathing heavy. I'm still shaking, and I can't think straight for longer than a few seconds. "I thought you said the hovercrafts were on the second to top floor."

"They are. But every guard in this place knows we're here now, and since you just killed their beloved leader, they'll be expecting us." Michael replies, his fingers flying over the keyboard under the computer. Words fly across the screen, codes and numbers, and he clears them all before pressing a red key. A small slit opens on the side of the computer, and an electronic chip pops out. He takes it and shoves it in his pocket. Michael then walks over to the opposite wall, pressing a few buttons on the panel next to the pod. It slides open soundlessly, the clean white interior striking in the red painted room. "We should be able to access the hovercrafts through their launch area, but we don't have much time. Who's first?"

"I am." Ivy comments, tying the strap from one of the guards belts into a criss-cross knot and slinging it over her shoulders, onto her back. She slides her new katanas into the makeshift sheath and rolls her neck. "Somebody needs to fight off the bastards if they meet us there. I'll hold them off long enough for you guys to come."

"I'll go with you." Michael nods. "Luke can stay here and defend the others if something comes up. Two can go at a time." He turns to us. "Be safe."

"You too." Luke says, and watches as Michael climbs in with Ivy. He presses a few buttons on the inside, and just like that, the pod is shooting upwards and out of sight.

Unconsciously, I step a little closer to Luke. I know I can protect myself pretty well, but he's still the only warrior in the room. I tighten my grip on the knife in my hand.

My head is still spinning. A glorious adrenaline has taken over my body, flushing out all of the exhaustion for the time being. My thoughts are so erratic they don't focus on the magnitude of what I just did. I killed Nasim Kieran. I avenged my family, I killed the bloody Superior of Asia.

I can't say that it doesn't feel good. Because it feels damn good. But for what consequence?

Luke glances down at my hand, and makes a small noise of recognition. I look at him. His expression is one of extreme and haunting regret.

"You kept it." Is all he says, and I realize he's talking about his dagger. I look down at it, seeing the lion carved into the hilt, the beady ruby eyes.