epilogue

so, i close
my eyes
to old ends

and open
my heart to
new beginnings

•unknown•

***

The air is just about how I remember it when we step out of the hovercraft: thick and muggy.

For the second time in the past two weeks I am hit with an overwhelming and unpleasant sense of deja vu as I take my first few steps across the North American soil, my eyes roaming the desolation around us.

We came back.

Nobody wanted to stay in Asia. Not even Michael, who was fascinated with all of the technology. Everyone flew back to Hawaii as soon as possible.

It's a good thing we did. Upon entering the last tent, left up for those who stayed to help clean up, Xavier froze. There, sitting in a circle talking with other survivors, was his sister. His own sister. He has mentioned to me that she was on a honeymoon here when the bombs hit, but I never thought about it twice.

They had a very tearful, very cheesy reunion which ended in her asking about a million questions consisting of where the hell is your arm?? why are you so pale? what's with your throat? what happened out there? The rest is history.

To make a long story short: all of us wanted one thing: to go home. The only problem was, home was completely destroyed and crawling with mutant creatures foaming at the mouth to kill us. After talking it over with more diplomats and collecting supplies, it was decided that we would start reconstruction of North America as soon as possible.

It's amazing how such a tragedy can bring countries together. Every single continent donated something to the cause, wether it be a whole shipment of rations or a field of machines. Asia was the most generous, providing a hovercraft and housing to combat our efforts. Then again, they're the reason for it all.

All of this has lead to this very moment: landing in South Dakota, just on the outskirts of Pierre. It is one of the only spots on the continent that hasn't been soaked in radiation. We are less than a ten minute walk from Lake Oahe, and the buildings have maintained their initial skeletal structures.

Perfect for a new start.

First things first, however: clearing all of the mutants.

Call me insane or just plain unstable, but it feels so damn good to have my hands wrapped around my axe again. Ivy slinks up beside me, her two swords shining in the faint sunlight. I can hear Luke's new knives clinking on his belt.

In some strange, foreign way, it feels like things are finally the way they should be.

There's at least twenty mutants already crawling out of the wreckage, some human some not, the smell of fresh meat in their nostrils. I can already feel the adrenaline flowing into my veins.

"Alright bitches." Ivy says, swinging her blades around her fingers. "Let's get this party started."

***

Two hours later, and I'm sweating like a pig.

There's green and black blood all over me, my axe is dull, and my arms ache.

With all of the survivors working together, we've managed to clear out all of the mutants within a mile radius. They now lay in piles of corpses, burning pillows of smoke into the grey sky.