16

EDRIC

I can't remember the last time I was this angry. I'm not the most laid back of vampires, I was a warrior after all. But it is like I have a fire burning through my veins. I want to roar and scream, I want to smash down walls.

I think Lily must realise how angry I am as she has been slowly inching away from me while we wait for Sam to get the guards awake. They are much younger and the sun hasn't fully set, so it takes them longer. Bloody newbie vamps. And I know that my next personal army is all going to be made from vampires at least 100 years old.

"I'm not angry at you, Lily," I say, trying to keep my voice soft and calm, but she can hear the strained edge to it as well as me.

"I know, it's just, you're so fierce like this, it's a bit scary," she says, her wide pale eyes finding mine.

"I need my anger right now, we both need it for what's ahead," I say sadly and she nods.

Sam has reappeared and shuffling behind him are his four vampire guards who look like they are half asleep.

"The sun will be fully set very soon, but we need to move now. This place has been compromised and while you have been in a deep slumber, I have been doing your job and killed the five men you see here," I growl and they all shrink back a bit. All of them except Sam. He's seen me like this before and even if he hasn't, he's made of sterner stuff and I'll never regret turning him the way I did.

"Where are we going?" Lily asks in a small voice.

"Back to the crypts, we take the fight to my father. It's time I had control," I snap.

"So we just turn up there, the six of us, no offence Lily, but you can't fight," says Sam and he gives her a smile.

"Are you questioning me?" I snap, Sam may be my friend but he is still my guard, he exists to protect me and to obey me.

"Yes I am going to question you, Sir Edric," he emphasises, "if it is going to get us all killed including Lily who you have taken great pains to keep alive."

"Ok, what would suggest then Sam, or should I say, Sir Sam," I plaster a very tight smile across my face and Sam actually rolls his eyes at me.

"Edric, I am your friend, I am your guard. I trust you with my life, I will follow you into battle anywhere. You know that. But just think, I see things differently to you. This isn't my father. You are the strongest fighter I have ever seen. But don't you think he knows that too. He is strong to be sure, but he is clever, manipulative and cunning. And he knows you and how you react. There are five dead men on the floor. Come on, even during the day he must have known that would be no match for you. He could have sent 20 men, 50, he has the connections."

"So what are you saying?" I say, starting to feel the fire in my veins cool. Sam is right, my father could have sent more men.

"I'm saying he wants to make you angry. As angry as you are now. And what is your first instinct? To go to the crypts, take him down, take them all down. He wants you to do that. If you really want to beat your father, you have to stop acting like you would normally do. Start thinking about how he acts. What would he expect you to do? Whatever it is, don't do it."

I sigh. How does Sam know all this and me, some 300 years older, does not? It makes me think I am not fit to be part of this family, to be a ruler.

"So he wants me to bust in there all guns blazing, as you would say. So we don't? I can't let him get away with that. You know I can't. And none of us are safe until I have him under control."