Chapter 31

The days in the water clan were far from pleasant. You had warmed up to Oum's family and they have been treating you with a bit more respect, but it was everyone else that presented a problem. You would often find yourself "tripping" on a "stone" in front of servants and days where you missed meals. Going outside, people would make all kinds of comments about you. You never told Oum though.

Your relationship with him became rather rocky. You didn't want to impose on him with your problems as this might lead to him blowing it out of proportion.

You finally had it when you overheard some maids.

"The freak is still here," one maid spat.

"I figured she would of been gone by now," said another venomously.

"Let's put an end to this matter once and for all."

"How?"

"Remember the night where she was crying like a fool? I know a man who likes challenges," you froze. Memories of that night filled your mind. You were shaking. You back away slowly. Eventually you broke out into a run.

You didn't see where you were going and bumped into someone. It was Kai. When he sees you trembling, he asks,

"F/n. What is wrong? What happened?"

You respond with tears threatening to come out. "I can't take it anymore. I want to go home. I need to go home. Being here was too much for me." You break down in front of Kai. "Take me back home. Please," you plead and Kai merely nods. Soon, Kai sneaks you out of the house without telling anyone.

You were rather fearful of everyone. You didn't make eye contact with anyone and flinched when you heard rustling of leaves or chirping of birds. Finally, you make it to the border. You finally turn to Kai.

"Thank you." You say before running to your home. When you enter you are greeted by you brother and father.

"F/n. You're back." Jura says. "Why?"

"I'll explain later." You tell him. You turn to your dad. "Where is mom?"

"In the bedroom." he says. He is just as curious as Jura about why you came back but decides to wait until you are ready to talk. You make your way to your mother's room. When she sees you, she is surprised.

"F/n. Why are you here?" Finally you run up to her and break down crying.

"I couldn't do it. It was too much. I tried so hard to make this work for the sake of our clan and yet I failed. I am sorry."

"F/n, look at me," your mother says gently as she cups your chin, continuing, "F/n, you managed to get two of the three other clans to acknowledge us. So what if you couldn't get one clan to acknowledge us. You did your best. With time, there will be peace. It is best to not rush it. Now, you should rest. You must be tired," she smiles gently and you hug your mom. When you exit, you explain to you father and brother what happened.

"It must of been a rough time for you," your father says as he struggles to keep Jura from shouting. You can see him seething in anger and trying to say something. Eventually, your father tells you to rest, you obey of course and promptly fall asleep.

As for Oum...

You weren't in the house. He was interrogating every servant. His anger was beyond control. He didn't get why you left him. You never said anything was wrong. Finally Kai walks in and sees the frightened looks and asks.

"Oum. What are you doing?"

"F/n is missing. One of them knows what happened to her." He says glaring at the cowering servants.

"...I brought her back home." Kai says after moment. Oum slowly turns to Kai.

"You did what?"

"I brought her back home."

"Why?!"

"Anyone could tell she felt unhappy here!" Kai shouts. "She came to me begging to go back."

"She was going to be my wife! I was going to protect her! I was going to keep her safe! How could you let her leave?!"

"Because being with you is the most dangerous thing she has faced in the clan." The brother's stare each other down coldly. Silently, Oum put his hands in his pocket. After a moment, Kai begins choking. Their mother comes in. She heard that Oum was harassing the servants and came to put an end to it. When she saw Kai struggling to breathe, she ran to his side to try and help him.

"Oum! Don't just stand there! Get help!" Finally Kai begins breathing. Through haggard breaths Kai begins speaking.

"What the hell...did you... do to...me?" He says, breathing harshly and putting a hand on his throat.

"Punishing you for allowing her to leave."

"Kai, what does Oum mean by punish you?" She asks worried.

"He let F/n escape."

"Oum," she begins. "If she left, you need to give-"

"NO!" Oum's outburst shocks her. His eyes are full of raw anger. "Anyone who gets in my way, will face a much worse punishment. This includes harming her once she is back. If anyone harms her or makes her uncomfortable, I will see that they are severely punished." Oum begins walking towards the door.

"Where are you going." his mother asks.

"To get my bride back," he growls, slamming the door behind him.

Edited by Audballlllll