Chapter Ten

The next day went rather slowly for Harry as he just wanted to get to the Room of Requirement and start on the lesson. Luckily, since there was no Quidditch this year, they were able to set their meetings for just after lunchtime. So, not wanting to have to sit through the dirty looks from his schoolmates, he decided to have his meal in the Room of Requirement instead.

       Making his way to the seventh-floor corridor, he ran into Draco, Blaise, and Pansy. Upon seeing Harry, the three made their way over.

"Where are you off to, Harry?" Pansy immediately asked, getting a glare from the blond beside her.

"Oh, um. I was just thinking about heading up to the R.O.R. early in order to get there before everyone else." He replied, trying and failing to ignore the intense look Draco was shooting him.

"Well, how about some company?" Pansy offered, stepping away from the other Slytherins in order to loop her arm through his.

"That would be great, thanks!" he said, smiling gratefully. He really hadn't wanted to eat yet another meal by himself.

"Actually, Pans," Blaise started, "we have to be in the Great Hall today to talk to that Ravenclaw about the Ancient Runes homework."

"Why can't you tell me about it after? Why do I have to be there too?" Pansy whined, reminding Harry slightly of Dudley.

"Because, Pans. I'm not letting you have me do all of the work again." Blaise said sternly.

       Harry sighed to himself, disappointed that he'd be left to eat alone once again. Pansy seemed to take note of this, as she said, "But we can't leave Harry all alone!"

"But he won't be alone," Blaise responded, looking as though he was trying extremely hard not to smirk, "Draco will be with him."

       Throughout the entire exchange, the blond had been oddly quiet, opting to simply send well-placed glares at the female Slytherin. At Blaise's words, however, his gaze moved to look at his friend.

"I will? I mean... I will, yes. Of course." Draco said, for once seeming to not have the right words to say.

       Harry smiled as Blaise rolled his eyes at the blond's actions, "See, Harry, he doesn't need any help with his Ancient Runes, so he's completely free to eat lunch with you."

       With that, the dark-skinned Slytherin tore Pansy away from Harry's arm, much to her chagrin. Harry laughed to himself as he watched the two friends make their way to the Great Hall, arguing the entire way. He then turned back to the blond, only to find him staring intently.

"Are they always like that?" Harry asked.

"Pretty much, yeah," Draco answered, a light smile playing across his features.

"I like them. Especially Blaise." He said, now walking in tandem with the blond. After Harry's comment, though, he seemed to miss a step before catching up again.

"Oh?" the other boy said, trepidation evident in his voice, "You like Blaise better?"

"I mean, don't tell Pansy or anything, but I'm kinda glad Blaise got her away from me just then."

"Ah, I see." Draco sounded relieved, "Yes, Pans can be a lot to handle sometimes."

"You two seem to have some sort of feud or something going on. What's that all about?" he asked, stepping off of yet another staircase.

"What do you mean?" the blond asked, blushing slightly.

       His reaction told Harry that Draco knew exactly what he'd been talking about, but he couldn't fathom why he'd be blushing.