-02-

Hogsmeade weekends were always enjoyable for Dorcas, but increasingly so with the rise of a certain Dark wizard who, as she heard from rumours and vague articles from the Daily Prophet, seemed to be gathering an army with an intention of raising the wizarding world above muggles and muggleborns alike. Even the atmosphere of Hogwarts was growing gloomier by the day, the once united strength now slowly dispersing, especially with the Slytherin students having relatives – or even parents – joining the Dark Lord's forces. Casualties and muggle attacks were becoming much too common, so much so that many were left fearing the Dark wizard's name itself, and ending up referring to him as You-Know-Who.

It was on the last weekend before Christmas, that Dorcas and her friends marched to Hogsmeade, clad in several layers of jumpers and fuzzy hats atop their heads. Dorcas had her hands stuffed inside the pockets of her jeans, and her teeth chattering, she managed to say, "I don't think I'll be able to buy anything today."

Maeve turned to look at her in confusion, her short dark hair bouncing as she did so. "Why? Didn't you bring money?"

"If I take my hands out of my pockets, I'll freeze in a second."

Silver snickered. "I told you to wear gloves."

"You know I don't like gloves. I can only tolerate them in Herbology, when they protect me from poison and barbs."

"Don't worry, Dork," said Silver, giving her a light pat on her shoulder. "We'll buy everything for you."

Dorcas didn't realise that when she said everything, she actually meant everything. Thus, by the time they were done shopping, she was forced to take her hands out of her pockets in order to hold the numerous bags of the various merchandise they had purchased for her. Indeed, it looked like they had bought every single thing Hogsmeade offered.

The three headed to Three Broomsticks after that. It took quite an effort for them to enter the pub, for the multiple bags they held got stuck in the doorway, and Madam Rosmerta had to pull them through. Thanking the woman, they chose a table and sat down, finally relieving themselves of their bags. Silver went to order butterbeer.

"Can you believe," said Maeve, once the butterbeer arrived and the three allowed the warmth to spread to the very cores of their bodies as the heavenly drink made its way down their throats, "that this is the last time we will be enjoying butterbeer together, in Hogsmeade? Because this is the last winter, and then next time we come here, it won't be as cold."

Dorcas gave a very loud whine and dropped her head on the table. "Can you please not talk about depressing things and just enjoy the day?"

"It's not my fault," she raised her hands defensively. "The thoughts just keep circulating in my head and I just feel the need to share them and make you miserable too."

Dorcas opened her mouth to argue, but Maeve spoke up. "I'm surprised, Silver, that you came with us. I would have thought you would want to enjoy the last butterbeer with your boyfriend."

Silver scoffed in reply. "Please. You people are the loves of my life. There's no one else I would want to share the last things of my life with."

"Oh, that's so sweet," said Dorcas mockingly. "Why don't you sprinkle your sweetness to all the salty people everywhere?"

"I wish I could do that."

The door of the pub opened, and Dorcas choked on her butterbeer as a very familiar blonde appeared through the doorway. But the reason for her shock was less the girl who had appeared, than the boy she appeared with. Their hands were linked, and both were laughing, not too loudly, but enough to show that they enjoyed each other's company. Dorcas immediately lowered her head, and took a large gulp of her drink, burning her tongue in the process.

Silver and Maeve were both silent. Finally, the former spoke up. "Do you want us to chase the guy into the Forbidden Forest so that he gets trampled by centaurs?"

Dorcas let out a short, choked laughter. "I'd love that." Her eyes were still fixated on her drink.

"You should have approached her while she was still single last month, Dorcas." Silver suggested, not unkindly, but Dorcas didn't feel like hearing it. She shook her head irritably.

"I don't want to talk about it."

Juliet and her boyfriend took a seat at a table in one corner, just opposite Dorcas, so that they were completely visible in her eyes. She had the intense desire to disappear like the falling snowflakes that adorned the air outside.

Dorcas has always scorned the idea of love at first sight. Love itself was founded upon knowledge about a person, she thought, it couldn't bloom into existence like a firework. But all that had changed when she joined the choir in her third year. Dorcas found everything about Juliet – her stunning voice, her beauty, her ambitions to be the best among all – admirable, and her newfound liking soon turned into a crush. By the time she had reached seventh year, by way of frequent glances and smiles and small talk, she had discovered, much to her dismay, that she was falling hopelessly for the blonde girl. And she knew there was no turning back.

She sipped on her butterbeer once more, only to realise that her glass was drained. Her eyes unknowingly flitted over to Juliet Dearborn, but her heart made a crashing downfall as they laid upon Juliet's lips that were pressed against the boy's mouth. Her mouth felt dry and cold, despite the warm drink having passed only seconds before. Her feet moved of their own accord, and before long, she found herself walking out of the bar and into the cold air outside.

When Dorcas stopped, she was sitting under a tree, and snow flaked off the woolen material of her jumper. She didn't feel sad or broken – she felt angry, frustrated, mad. Why did Juliet have to choose those who did not want her – who were sure to leave her in less than a month? Why won't she see that Dorcas was the one who loved her dearly, that she would do anything to have her, that she would give her the world, and never leave her?

Maeve and Silver joined her seconds later, sitting on each side of her. Maeve put an arm around her and pulled her into an embrace. She hugged her back and closed her eyes.

"No need to get upset over someone who doesn't get your worth, baby," said Maeve softly, as she used her fingers to brush her wild curls out of her face. Dorcas smiled. "Now smile for us, the ones who love you, and take your share of the bags. We dropped it four times while coming here."

Letting out a weak laughter, Dorcas nodded and stood up. Pushing thoughts of Juliet out of her mind, she rose to her feet and left to enjoy the day with her best friends.