-51-

There seemed to be an abundance of storm clouds one bleak Tuesday afternoon as the rain poured ceaselessly with no apparent intention to stop, thereby causing rather heavy cuss words to be shouted towards the heavens from the inhabitants of the little town that took the brunt of the attack from Mother Nature. Emotions ran high and people who were unfortunate enough to be out on the roads either ran for cover, or attempted to make home quickly while trying to keep their poor umbrellas from turning inside out.

Amongst these people were, however, certain optimistic ones who managed to find light of the dismal situation. There could be seen, even in the roads filled with frustrated travellers, a few who walked serenely under the rain, or jumped puddles, or let little paper boats float across the water that has collected over the uneven streets. A few stray dogs could be seen wagging their tails happily as they chased each other around, and one of them nearly crashed into a person as she crossed the road to reach the tall pale blue building on the opposite side.

Dorcas Meadowes paused briefly to look down at the dog, but paid no real mind and continued on her way. She was drenched completely from the storm, her long brown hair sticking to her body, though it didn't seem to bother her much. Upon reaching the building, she pushed open the large door and entered, heaving a deep sigh once she was finally away from the heavy storm.

After climbing several flights of stairs, she came upon a door on the fourth floor landing which she unlocked with a key that she found after a little fumbling around in her pockets. She stepped across the threshold to enter her cosy little apartment, and was immediately greeted by a small dark figure that bounded towards her and began to circle her enthusiastically. But as she moved and droplets of water sprinkled from her hair to the floor, the figure jerked and moved back hurriedly, hissing indignantly at her.

Dorcas smiled. "Sorry, Cheesecake," she addressed the cat. "But I can't pick you up just yet. I need to take a shower first; I'm covered all over in mud."

Thus, Cheesecake the cat stepped back and allowed her entrance into the apartment. Taking off her cloak and stowing away her wand into one of the high shelves so that the cat couldn't reach it, Dorcas stepped into the shower and let the warm water wash all over her.

She showered for a long time. After the downpour outside, the water felt soothing on her skin. When she finally felt clean enough, she wrapped herself in a white dressing gown and left the bathroom. Filling an over excited Cheesecake's bowls with food and water, she settled down on her bed and pulled open the book that lay under her pillow, losing herself into a new world as she began to read.

The apartment Dorcas lived in was tiny if she compared it to her mother's house, although she didn't hate it. There were two small bedrooms, the second one void of any furniture but filled with several cardboard boxes that she hasn't yet bothered to unpack. She had sold most of the furniture and other items she didn't need, though she had kept the items she couldn't get herself to sell, like most of her mother's belongings and some paintings they had hung on the walls, and they were kept in the spare bedroom which she dusted and cleaned every week.

Her bedroom had only a bed, a shelf and a closet. She had sold her old dressing table as the closet came with a built in mirror, and she didn't feel the need to keep a bulky old dresser in her room. The kitchen had a single stove above which was a cupboard, and there was a sitting room in the middle of which stood a round coffee table. Sometimes Dorcas liked to sit by the table and read a book while sipping on a mug of coffee.

A fraction of her bedroom was dedicated to her cat. There was a soft bed complete with a small blanket and fluffy cushions, his bowls of food and several toys he usually didn't touch, for his favourite play thing was Dorcas herself. Indeed, no sooner had he finished his meal than he jumped into her bed and curled up by her side, preparing to fall asleep.