-21-

It was the night before Dorcas was to return to Hogwarts, and even though she had received a letter from Maeve and Silver, she wasn't able to calm her mind, remembering what at happened at the Hogwarts Express on her way home. As much as she would love to think that she was excited to return, she couldn't suppress the constant fear of the trip itself; the Slytherins would be sure to pay her a visit again.

Seated at her table, where she used to study when she was younger, Dorcas read and reread the joint letter from her best friends. She had written to them right after coming home to let them know that everything was alright, and they had responded to give updates about the castle, which wasn't much, except for more students collapsing of pressure. They mentioned that Juliet had come up to them to inquire about Dorcas, given that she hadn't told her that she was leaving for the Easter holiday.

With a sigh, she folded the letter and tucked it gently inside her bag, which was packed and ready for the trip. For a moment, she wondered if she should apparate directly to the castle to avoid the train journey – she has always associated the Hogwarts Express with good times, catching up with friends and loads of sweets from the trolley lady. Downright fearing the journey she so loved was perhaps one of the signs that the situation in the wizarding world was changing.

Dorcas slid into her bed and curled up. She couldn't apparate to Hogwarts. Doing so would show those Slytherins that she was afraid of them, which she actually was, and would give them the upper hand in the situation. She needed to remain vigilant, she couldn't let them think that she would cower in the dark because of them.

A hesitant knock sounded on her door. "Come in," she invited, and as the door opened, she saw Noel walk in. Surprised, she rose to a sitting position, asking him to enter and have a seat.

Noel smiled slightly, before sitting down on the chair she had occupied a minute earlier. "So you are going back to school tomorrow?" he asked.

Dorcas nodded. "Yes. My train leaves at eleven."

"I wish I could have dropped you at the station," he said, bringing her eyes to widen. "But your mum seemed adamant about leaving you alone. I guess she doesn't trust me," he added with a laugh.

Dorcas forced herself to laugh a little. "I'm sure it's not that. I just like travelling alone." She waited with bated breath, expecting questions about her school, where it was, what it was. But Noel looked around her room, observing the walls where she had her childhood paintings still nailed to a board.

He really was an incurious person.

"So, do you have children?" she asked quickly, in case he decided to change his mind and start asking undesirable questions.

Noel's good-natured demeanor suddenly changed, and a shadow passed over his face. He didn't speak for a while.

"I was supposed to have one," he answered after an incredibly long time. "My wife was pregnant when she got killed in a car accident, twelve years ago."

Dorcas's heart stopped. She wished she hadn't brought it up. "I'm so sorry," she whispered, not knowing what else to say.

Noel smiled though, before coming over to sit on the bed beside her. "I have dated a few times since," he continued. "But none of them lasted long. I really like your mother, and I am actually hoping for something serious now. I hope you are okay with our relationship."

"Of course," she answered promptly. "As long as you make her happy."

Noel smiled again – Dorcas couldn't help but wonder if smiling was his hobby – and said, "You have a remarkable voice, you know? Your mum showed me some of your records, and I have to say, I was stunned. I'm sure you will flourish at RadioRoll."