Rabbit's Hole

The next morning 8:24 am

"I love you, Arata! Have a good day!" Mom waves from behind the counter.

"You too!" I say on my way out the door.

The city is just now coming alive. The chaos in the streets, people hustling to get to work, it's comforting. As if my life could be turned upside down but this city will never change.

Every morning there's Ms. Fumochika, the manager of the "His and Hers" flower shop yelling at her husband to get out of bed over the phone.

She's a big boned woman with a work ethic to match.

I gesture her a "good morning"

She covers her phone and in a hardy voice, says "Heyyyy Arata, tell your mom I said thanks for the pie! I love that woman to death! Have a great day and keep those grades up!"

"Will do." I reply. She smiles and gets back on her phone.

Not long after that, I hear a familiar voice on my way to the bus station that seemed to cut through the surrounding white noise like a hot knife through butter.

"Sloppy, but you did alright." the voice says.

I shudder before turning around to find my uncle Ayato leaned against a wall, smoking a cigarette.

Ayato Kirishima *(Brother of Touka and uncle to Arata)^^^

"Ayato... What are you talking about?" I ask, taken aback by his sudden appearance.

"Ayato? Did Touka never teach you manners? What am I saying..... of course not. Anyways whatever, that's not what im here for.... I'm talking about last night, someone's gotta be watching over you kid." He scans the area behind me with his eyes narrowed.