The City That Wasn't: Part 2

Frank watched as the helicopter touched down at the Fort Dodge airfield. Dust kicked up, blasting him in the face. No one has ever come from Kansas City, he thought. Something ain't right.

He waited as a pale vampire exited the chopper. As soon as he strode forward, the aircraft ascended into the dark sky. Frank analyzed the man's gait, skin tone, and face. He was thinner than Frank and clean shaven. His skin tone indicated that he would be physically strong, but more vulnerable to silver and sunlight. Confident, but lacking in emotion. The pale ones were always the same, he thought.

Matthias stopped in front of Frank and extended his hand.

"Frank," he introduced, shaking it.

"Matthias."

"My car is this way, let's get something to eat," proposed Frank. His voice had a hint of an Irish accent mixed with midwest America.

"I'm good," replied Matthias.

"Well, I'm hungry."

They got into Frank's car, a navy blue sedan that still used gasoline. Superconductor rail development hadn't reached the SWK outside of highway 56, but it was on its way with the new development spider-webbing out from major cities as fast as construction would allow. The old engine roared to life, and music featuring heavy guitar riffs blared from the speakers. Frank grimaced and quickly hit the mute button.

Looking out the windshield, it hit Matthias how different Dodge was from KC, or from most cities. He could see great swaths of sky only occasionally interrupted by steel towers. It was darker, too. Shorter buildings meant fewer lights, and even the street lamps seemed further apart. He couldn't remember the last time he spotted stars in the sky from ground level.

"Wyatt Earp," said Matthias, noticing a street sign. "That's a real street name."

"Yeah," affirmed Frank. "You ever come this way?"

"First time."

They stopped at a burger chain. Matthias choked down a laugh as he spotted an old west style carriage sitting in the middle of the dining area. Once at the counter, he decided to order something despite a lack of appetite. It would beat sitting awkwardly across from Kerwin.

Once seated, Frank dug into his cheeseburger. Despite his thirst for blood, Matthias was otherwise a vegetarian. He looked at Frank for a moment, then began eating his fries.

Mouth still in the middle of chewing, Frank said, "So what all have they told you about the case?"

"Sheriff killed by a... one of us," Matthias said, glancing around. "That's it."

Frank sucked fizz through a straw and swallowed. "Sheriff," he scoffed. "What a load of shit."

"Not a sheriff then?"

"More of a nickname than a real job. I met Burton once, overweight blowhard."

"Any leads?"

"Like it matters," snarled Frank. "Council just wants someone to take the fall. You here to pick someone out?"

"What?" asked Matthias. "No. Jesus." He considered Blist's words. Was that the subtext? "My supervisor just wants to get to the bottom of it, simple as that."

"Blist, right?"

Matthias's eyes widened slightly. "Yes, that's right."

"I met him about a year ago when some guys from KC were sent down here for some sort of Southwest conference," Frank explained. "We talked shop. He seems like a real stiff."