Here Now, Gone Tomorrow

Tucking a loose strand of hair behind my ear, I gathered the dirty dishes from the table along with my lousy tip. Trotting off toward the kitchen in a rush, I eyed the clock hanging over the register. Two more hours I thought and I'm outta here.

As I deposited the soiled dishes in the pan Ed yelled out to me. "Order up Avery".

Rushing to grab my customers food, I skirted around the register and saw a group of young men enter. Rolling my eye's I prayed they wouldn't be seated in my section. Guy's like this flocked to Vegas, blowed all their cash in the casinos and laid up with prostitutes. Most would hit on me, talk vulgar, leave shitty tips if they left one at all. Then they left their table as if a team of toddlers had been eating.

I gave a sigh of relief as my best friend Lana set them else where. Turning she gave me a wink and I mouthed a huge "Thank you".

I was born and raised on the outskirts of Vegas by both my parents. They were hard workers and provided well but college wasn't in the cards for me. After graduation, I headed to the city for a job which isn't hard to come by in the city of sin. With all the casinos, hotels, restaurants and shows, there's jobs aplenty. I worked in a snazzy hamburger joint that boasted of grease and home of the twelve dollar burger. I've been here since I was eighteen and I'm twenty-two now. I eek out a decent living, have my own pad and a decent enough used car. It gets me where I'm going.

Mostly I make killer tips, especially when the business executives pour in or the old, rich horny men. However, I have to indulge in their flirting and advances but I'm tough. I've only had a few that actually tried to grab at me but Ed quickly escorted them out.

Which I find it strange all these men hound me. I'm not that pretty, mostly I'm plain. My hair is wild and I'm too pale. Besides, I'm taken anyways. Yes, Jared an I have been together almost two years now and plan on building a future together. He works the blackjack tables at one of the casino's.

I took my next customer's order and made my way to the back. Sticking the slip of paper in the spin dial, I gave it a quick turn as Ed called out. "Damn it Avery, I've told you not to do that. The orders get out of line".

Winking, I sassed. "You still love me though".

Shaking his head he laughed. "Like one of my own".

Seeing that I had a moment to rest, I walked farther back where a table was set up for our breaks. Flopping down in the chair, I grabbed my water bottle as Lana joined me. I fanned my arm as Lana lit her cigarette and inhaled deeply. "You really should drop that habit".

Shrugging her shoulders, she exhaled. "Gotta die of something".

Knowing there was no need to argue, I closed my eye's for a mental break. "Hey, you coming with me tonight. I'm going to check out the scene at that new club".

Looking down at this ridiculous uniform we was made to wear I laughed. "Absolutely. I'm sure this blue checkered hoop dress will just dazzle, not to mention my cheeseburger perfume. Besides I've got to work the breakfast shift tomorrow so straight home for me".

"Damn it". Lana stamped her foot. "I never get the breakfast shift. Your lucky. All the horny drunks wander in at night".

"Sorry babe". I chuckled as I got back up.

The remainder of my time sped by and I couldn't wait to get home. My feet were killing me and my bubble bath awaited. I had to walk a ways to my car, but it was a nice night. The parking lot was still full but no one in sight. As I unlocked my car, I heard a moan as if someone was hurt. Dropping my bag onto my seat I listened for the sound again.

Thinking it was my imagination I started to get in my car then heard it again. Defiantly someone was in distress and I should help, but a tiny part of me kept replaying every horror film I'd seen in my mind. This could be a trick and someone is trying to lure me out. Against my better judgement I followed the soft moans. They led me near the staircase. Slowly I peeked inside the corridor and gasped.

A young man in a fine suit was lying on the ground covered in blood. Falling to my knees beside him, I asked. "Are you okay?"

Instantly I felt stupid. Of course he wasn't okay. "Okay, I'm calling for help now. You'll be fine, just hang tight."

As I waited for the ambulance his eye's cracked open. Even covered in blood it was obvious he was handsome. "What are you wearing? He asked in a slurr. "You look like Dorothy from the wizard of Oz."

Gee, thanks buddy, I'm just saving your life and your tossing insults at me. "You smell like cheeseburgers".

Okay, that was it. I should've just left him to die. I looked down at his beaten face and instantly felt bad for that thought. His dark eye's closed then and I grasped his hand trying to reassure him.

Finally the ambulance roared up and everything was a blur. I quickly filled them in on how I found him. As they carted him off another paramedic took my info in case there was any questions.

Once at home, I couldn't put him out of my mind. Poor fellow, I hope he makes it. After my bath I phoned Jerry and told him about it and just as I suspected, he told me how stupid I was. That it could've been a set up or anything. That I should've stayed in my car and phoned for help there. Geez, alittle sympathy for the guy would've been great.

My mind trailed off as he lit in to his usual banter.... magic. Yep, Jerry ran to Vegas from Kentucky in hopes of being the next Chris Angel. That's right, he's a struggling magician. I love him and try to support him but honestly he just stinks at it. Occasionally he'll score a gig at a child's birthday party, and even those little angels stare at him in confusion.

Hearing enough about his latest attempt to break free from chains I yawned. "Sorry babe, but after working and then discovering that guy, I'm pooped. I need to sleep".

"Oh, okay. We still on for tomorrow night?"

Shit, I thought. He wanted to drag me to some lame bar where they was having stand up. This was his chance to showcase his talent, or so he says. We go to these stand up talent nights often and he never wins. "Sure". I said with fake enthusiasm.

After I hung up, I went to the kitchen and poured me a glass of cheap wine. I could really use this after tonight. Sipping it genoursly, I nibbled on some cheese crackers.

I didn't sleep as well as I had hoped I would. That stranger's eye's haunted my dreams.