Chapter 1: Badass Owls

Mari,

Left at 5 for early meeting, I’ll be home around 7. Wake up Dad for me, honey.

Thanks,

Mom

While pouring my cereal and readying the kids toast, I read Mom’s note neatly printed on a flowery sticky placed on the fridge. Tossing the read slip in the garbage, I quickly sweep up the fallen Cheerios spilt there by little JC.  

“GUYS! YOU’RE GONNA BE LATE FOR SCHOOL!” I scream, as I rush upstairs to wake Dad. Swiftly grabbing the air horn Mom keeps under the bed, I press down the button for a good ten Mississippi seconds until my Dad smacks me with a feathery pillow.

“I’m up Mari. You’re getting more to be like your mother every day,” dad groggily stretches, yawns, and then smiles. I wave my hand in front of my nose, signaling Dad to go to bathroom and find an amazing revelation for morning breath called toothpaste. Quickly understanding, my father chuckles and scruffs up my hair, then staggers slowly to get ready.

Moments later everyone piles in the van.

“Roll call,” dad cues me to recite the family checklist.

“Kezia!”

“Here.”

“Lois”

“Present!”

“Ky.”

“Okay.”

“JC.”

“Yup!”

“Ella.”

A quiet gurgling sound is made and I check off baby Ella.

“Seatbelts!” I command and at once my ears are welcomed by a unison click.

“You’re forgetting something,” dad comments as he starts the car.

“Dad.”

“Here I am Mari!” gleefully he speeds off to the kids’ school, then drops Ella off at daycare.

The radio’s static fills the air as my father turns on 6th avenue. He stops in front of a large grey and red building. Putting the van in park, he turns and smiles at me.

“Skipping school again, cupcake? That’s not a good habit. I don’t want my girl turning into a motorcycle riding, badass.”

Raising my left eyebrow, I scoff.  Looking at my reflection, you would never get the impression of a rebel. My raven silk hair was pulled into a ponytail; sweatpants and a red shirt with a Spiderman mask covers any visible outline of my body. For goodness sake, my bag was covered with owls! Not to mention, my school had no classes today, so I wasn’t missing anything.

“Seriously, Dad? Because you know, my owls are so tough looking.”

“Oh, come on! Owls have those huge eyes that freak me out. Not to mention, they’re nocturnal, don’t want you hanging out with late night owls now do we?” Rolling my eyes, I give my dad a peck on the cheek and proceed toward my second home, Come Inn and Stay Homeless Shelter.

Once I push the doors, I’m engulfed by the usual scent of weed and alcohol, something I’ve become accustom to over multiple visits. “Morning Kellie! Is Gabe here yet?” I ask our secretary, but she just huffs and shakes her head. Shrugging her off, I head into the sign in office, where I find other volunteers discussing with hot mugs of coffee. Hooking up my jacket on the coat rack, I search through my bag for my phone. While rummaging I feel someone approaching me, trying my best to hide my cringe I turn around.