Chapter 5: Dueling With Mr. Shirtless

“Stop pushing so hard, it hurts!”

 “Me? If you would keep from squirming, it wouldn’t hurt so much!”

“Is it supposed to feel like I’m slowly turning numb?”

“Stop moving! I’m getting it all over you!”

“Why does it smell like old gum and rotten tomatoes?”

“How should I know? I didn’t make it!”

After we all came into the shelter, I took Ryan to one of the rooms in the medical hall to use the ancient remedy on his recovering wounds. Currently, I’m screaming my head off for him to hold still as I put a cotton ball, soaked with the ancient Chinese remedy on a bruise close to his shoulder.

 “Stop it! I’ve had enough! Give me that cotton ball!” Turning my body away, I try to avoid the large muscular arms encircling me while trying grab the stinking miracle.

“Shut up and take off your shirt!” Immediately his posture changed, his back straightened and his hands came to himself at my sudden outburst but his face still held their playful look.

“Excuse me? I don’t think I quite heard you. Say it again, will you please?” Rolling my eyes, I muttered reluctantly as a heat reached the tops of my cheeks. Stupid Ryan taking my stupid comments personally.

“I need to fix those boo boos so just strip all ready.” I received another weird look but he followed my instructions. I examined the large blackening spots on his defined body, multiples of them scattered like splashes of paint on an abstract canvas, random and without thought. “You look like a Dalmatian.”

 “A what?” he asked shocked.

“Nothing, turn around.” Once again, like a good little boy, Ryan turned around obeying my order. Surprisingly I came face-to-face with the best looking back I had every seen on a man that wasn’t on a screen. Taking my time my eyes had a happy little show staring at his exposed back. Most girls want abs on their man but for me that wasn’t the case, if you've got a toned back then you could ask me to rub sunscreen on it at any time. Even in the winter I’m down you deltoid monster. Rawr!

 “You done starring at my back Mari?” Not wanting him to see my extremely bright rose cheeks as he already caught me melting at the sight of his back, I took two breathes and replied, “Dude its just that you've got tons of bruises on your back, and I was examining them at a close degree.”

“Sure, can I turn around now then?” My eyes took a mental screenshot before he turn around.

I pick up new ball of cotton and pour on some more medicine like I would pour on nail polish remover, then dabbing the product on a bruise placed near his chest. I continue you working until I come to a bruise above his collarbone. This whole time Ryan hadn’t spoken a word while just starring at me, as I have been so concentrated on repairing his purple splotches. Suddenly I look up and realise how the distance between us has closed. Also Ryan’s intimate starring wasn’t helping stampede of wildebeests that’s going on in my stomach and I’m talking the same stampede that killed Mufasa.

“Are you finished?” his whisper barely heard, I nod my head and look up. Since Ryan is sitting on a medical table he towers over me like I’m an Oompa Loompa and leans closer. His fingers brush a stray hair from my face and tuck it behind my ear; afterwards I bring up my hand to ruffle his bangs. “What are you doing?” Ryan’s confusion causes him to release a breathy laugh.

“Oh I thought we were fixing each other’s hair, oops my bad.” I giggle and look down thinking that the tension between us has disappeared. Feeling his looming figure coming closer to me his index finger rests under my chin as he pushes it up to gaze upon his magical eyes.