Chapter 1

You'd never been drunk before. That might sound funny - 18 years old but you'd never been interested in drinking alcohol, like everyone else your age seemed to be. What was so amazing about getting drunk and pretty much risking your life? You didn't have that much control over what you did when you were drunk -you suppose that's why you never did it. It wasn't worth it.

The night was still, black sky lit only by the ghostly glow of the moon and the few shimmering stars. Behind you - you and Ellie - was a bar. The brick walls were old and cracked, the yellow lights from the windows dim - yet they illuminated the dirty street, a soft glow painted onto the rough path beside the road.

If you looked into the bar windows you'd see dark outlines that marked the figures inside - drunken people, shuffling around, dancing, drinking, and shouting. Even from outside, you could hear the loud giggles from inside the bar. Unfortunately, that was the very place you'd just stepped out of, into the chilly night air.

"Y/N," Your friend whined, pulling on your arm. Sending a glare her way, you moved your arm away from her and then grabbed hers, dragging her with you. "Ellie, you're so drunk. Stop. We need to get you home." Your friend, however, had other ideas. She huffed and stopped in her tracks. You see, she was stronger than you and with her refusing to budge, well, you were kinda stuck. You couldn't forcefully move her, and there was nobody around anymore to help you. They were all either in the bar and drunk as well, or asleep. Besides, you were too awkward to ask a stranger for help removing your friend from the tile she stood on in the middle of the street, even if there had been someone around. Great.

You groaned, running a hand through your hair, turning to face Ellie again. "Please, I have no time for this. We're going out tomorrow, remember? Please move. C'mon." You gestured with your hands to the small block of flats you could see not too far in the distance. A few windows were lit up, but the rest were dark. It was too late for most people to be awake. Besides, it was freezing. Winter was on the way - a chilly breeze swept past you, making you shiver and rub your hands together. Again you huffed, your breath creating a small cloud in front of you. Seeing the uninterested look on Ellie's face made you even more frustrated than you were already.

"God, why do you have to be so difficult?"

"Because you're annoying, and bossy!" Your friend stuck out her tongue, swaying for a moment. You needed to get her home.

There was silence between you for a moment, until you sighed and sat down on the bench beside you, placing your head in your hands. Thinking, you bit the inside of your cheek without realising. "Ellie, how about if you come home with me, I'll let you watch a movie? I'll make you some popcorn too, how about that?" You said at last, hoping she would agree and give up the childish refusal.

"Nope nopey noodles." She said firmly , but after a second thought she grinned sheepishly, shuffling on her feet. "Actually... I will if you can get me a fat cranberry too! I need my 5-a ding dong- you always tell me I do."

You couldn't help but snort at the ridiculousness of her words, but after glancing at Ellie and noting the serious frown on her pale face, you smiled and stood up. "Alright, Ellie. You can have your Cranberry."

She danced on the spot, flailing her arms around like a pigeon on drugs. "LET'S GOOO!" The drunk girl yelled, giggling all the while. "Shush, Els, you need to keep it down." Prodding her shoulder, you gave her a warning stare and she crossed her arms over her chest, grinning. "Oh, I can keep it down!" She then proceeded to slut drop. God, she was such an idiot when she was drunk. You snorted, grabbing her arm again and dragging her toward the flat you shared.

It took quite a while to get there, with Ellie swaying and walking backwards every now and then, but when you finally got inside your flat you let out a large sigh of relief. Ellie made her way to the old, worn couch and collapsed onto it, falling into a deep sleep almost immediately. Boy she was going to regret having so much to drink in the morning.

With your friend fast asleep, it was silent (apart from the occasional snore). It was appreciated, honestly. Although you hadn't had anything to drink while at the bar the booming music had given you a mighty headache, and you put a hand on your head as you shuffled to your bedroom.

After getting changed and ready, you were about to get into bed when your phone buzzed. You grabbed your phone from your wooden beside table and glanced at it, squinting your eyes at the brightness. No notifications, what was the buzz for? Small static appeared on the screen, and you stared at it for a moment until the screen went completely black, apparently shutting off. It had still got a load of charge, why did it shut down? Odd. Oh well, you'd deal with it to tomorrow. You were far too tired now.

Settling down amongst the soft pillows and warm duvet of your bed, your eyes began to drift shut and you, just like Ellie, fell into a deep sleep.

---------------------------------------

Pain, that was what you felt. The knife, sharp and shiny, was pressed against your fair skin, being dragged upwards toward your shoulder. You wanted to scream, needed to cry out in pain, but the hand around your neck had cut off any oxygen from going in or out of you - you couldn't make a sound, other than a strangled squeak. You'd never felt pain like this before.

Again the knife, now wet with what you assumed was your own blood, was dragged up your arm, digging into a wound that had already been created, pressing into the already exposed flesh. You could tell there was a lot of blood - you could feel it; the hot, thick liquid was trickling down your arm, dripping onto your leg as you sat presumably tied to a chair. You could not see - there was something wrapped firmly around your eyes. You couldn't tell whether that was a positive or negative thing - perhaps seeing the damage being done to your body would make it feel even worse, or perhaps not seeing it made you focus on it more. Either way, the pain was unbearable. Yet somehow you were still enduring it, trying to scream but failing, trying to break away from the torturous, continuously slow drag of that damned knife up your arm.

It was the maniacal giggle that echoed around you that shook you the most. Whoever was doing this was enjoying it. The insane cackle was enough to make you feel sick inside, your stomach churning with dread. As if you weren't petrified already. How much longer would this go on for? How much longer would you have to endure this? You weren't sure how much more you could take. You just wanted it to end already, you wanted to rid yourself of this horrible pain and free yourself of your captor.

You awoke startled - eyes wide and gasping for breath. The dream, or nightmare as it truly was, still prodded at your mind, making the hairs raise on your arm almost instantly. You shook your head, refusing to look back on it - better if you forget it. The illusion of a few sharp twinges of pain brought you to your senses and you glanced downwards to see your blood covered arms - only they were not bloodied and there was not a single mark that might suggest the presence of a wound.

With a shaky sigh, you pushed the covers off your body and stepped out of bed, stretching. A yawn escaped your mouth and you blinked the sleep away before heading into the living room to prepare for the day.