Chapter 2

This came out later than planned, sorry about that! Also sorry it's a little shorter than what I would like - I just wanted to get something out for you guys! I promise the next one will be longer and hopelly more interesting.

Aside from the cold, the only other problem was that you had fallen ill. Hallucinating was not uncommon for you the last few days - a fever was plaguing your body and mind, making you see all kinds of strange things. The more time progressed, the weirder your hallucinations became. Not all of them were truly scary, but many of them were. The most recent had been an enormous spider crawling toward your bed in the dark, which at the time had been terrifying but after it had passed you couldn't hold back a (still slightly shaken) giggle. It was one of those classic movie hallucinations.

Ellie, unlike you, had spent the last few days out with a couple of your other friends, though she did come back to check on you every now and then. And, of course, when she came back to go to bed.

You lay in your own bed, drinking a weird lemon water thing that Ellie had prepared for you earlier - it was supposed to help with the fever, but you weren't sure how much good it was actually doing. Even so, couldn't hurt to try. You'd busied yourself with watching Netflix - after a while you just couldn't get any sleep, so what better way to spend your time than rewatching old Netflix series you'd already watched a bazillion times?

You shifted your position in bed, sitting up a little more while simultaneously wrapping your arms around your stomach to push down the urge to throw up. You felt tingly, and had a pounding headache. You loved using the excuse of being ill to get out of having to do things, but actually being ill was awful. Not only did you have a banging headache, but your temperature was constantly changing - one minute you were freezing cold and shivering, in need of more blankets, and the next you were so hot it felt like you'd crawled straight out of a desert. Along with that, pretty much every time you moved you felt like you were going to be sick.

A creak on the wooden floorboards broke you out of your miserable trance, and you peered up at the tiny crack through the door of your bedroom. You had left it ever so slightly open, for once not wanting to shut yourself away from the rest of the flat. Mostly out of convenience - if you were to throw up, you wanted to be able to quickly get to a bathroom. A bucket beside your bed would be handy but you'd left it in the kitchen and after getting into bed realised you probably wouldn't be able to get back up without puking.

Through that small gap in the door, you could see the outlines of furniture, but nothing out of the ordinary. Perhaps Ellie had come back again.

"Ellie?" You croaked, almost surprised at how rough your voice sounded. You hadn't used your voice much the last few days - another side effect of being ill.

No response came, so you figured you'd probably imagined it. Again you heard it - you were certain you'd heard it. "Ellie?" You tried again, calling out (as well as you could) to your friend - she was the only other one who had a key to this flat so if there was anyone else here it would be her. But after receiving to answer for the second time, you began to feel prickles of uncertainty creep up your spine, crawling their way to the back of your neck.

The light above you flickered - so fast that it would have been easy to have blinked and have no knowledge that it had happened. But with your worry came startlingly sudden awareness of everything around you, and you bit the inside of your cheek anxiously. Perhaps it was another hallucination, but those had been rather quick - this one seemed to take its time, and each creak of wood sent you into a state of minor panic.

You glanced out of the window, taking deep breaths. You were overreacting - you knew that, and the only way to stop it was to breathe and take your mind off of it. So your gaze did not leave the window, and your eyes focused in on all the tiny details outside. A pigeon (perhaps not the most interesting of creatures, but a creature nonetheless) was sat upon the top of a wooden fence not too far away, tilting its head at somebody sitting on a bench next to it who happened to have some kind of food in their hands. The person eyed the pigeon before flicking out a hand and shoeing it away. Up it flew, until it perched on the roof of a building - the pub you had been at with Ellie the other night. It remained there for a moment and then flew away, off into the distance and out of sight.

With another deep breath, you removed your fixed stare from the window and looked at the door. Instantly your skin began to crawl and you clutched your duvet, pushing yourself back so you leant on the wall, as far from the door as you could get at this point. Your voice, drained by both the illness and fear, only managed to let out a small, strangled gasp, and your eyes were firmly trained onto the shadow lingering beside the wooden, plain white door. Somebody was there. It was not Ellie - Ellie would have greeted her the moment she walked in, and this shadow seemed off. Like there was something wrong with it, but you couldn't point your finger onto what it actually was.

Then there was another sound -the slam of the front door, and after that came your friends voice. "Y/N, I'm back!" She called, and as you peered at the shadow you jolted when you saw it was gone.

Just another hallucination, you thought with an audible sigh of relief.