XX (Part 1)*

A clock ticked somewhere in the distance. Eldwin stared at the ceiling as he lay against his bed pillow. A sigh escaped his lips. He had been in the hospital for a while now and he would be lying if he said he wasn't looking forward to going home. Elwin balled a fist and slammed it hard into the mattress. Hamon did his best to protect him, but he still gets hurt. His mind raced with past events trying to remember what went wrong.

A low hissing pulled him from his thoughts. Sitting up, he glanced around the room and listened intently. No sound came causing him to lay back down. He let his mind wander once more as a shadow moved against the wall towards the door. Eldwin jerked his body upwards and watched as a shadow of a snake slithered toward the door. Eldwin let out a deep breath. He admitted he didn't like snakes but at least it left him alone.

Eldwin watched the shadow as arrived at the door and then slithered up the wall until it stood on its tail. The shadow began growing until he reached about the same height as Mr. Del Mastro and changed from a snake into a form of a man. Eldwin's eyes widen with fear. He had never seen anything like this before in his life. "Hamon," He called out, "there's something weird here, I need you to look into." No answer came.

Putting his feet on the ground, he watched as the figure turned the corner and raced deeper into the hospital. Nausea overwhelmed his stomach but his curiosity peeked. Jumping out of bed, he snuck towards the door and stuck his head out into the main area. He glanced to his right, he was greeted by a wall with a window displaying the bluest sky ever with white fluffy clouds. He turned and looked to the left, he was at the tail end of a hallway. He watched as the man's shadow turned left at the nurse's desk.

Sneaking out of the room, Eldwin proceeded toward down the hall stopping ever so often and pressing his back against the wall each time the nurse moved. Arriving at the front of the hallway, he shot across the way and sat on the floor to avoid suspension from the attending nurse. Turning his head from side to side, he noticed the figure had ventured to the left side and stayed still against a door.

Glancing around, Eldwin rose to his feet but kept his back bent over to avoid being seen. He approached the door and turned to watch the nurse disappear from her desk in the back. He reached out for the door, as the figure jolted forward scarring down another hallway. Eldwin rose to his full height before taking after him. The figure disappeared inside an elevator that slammed its doors shut in Eldwin's face as he arrived.

His eyes popped open as he turned towards his right where a door screeched as it swung open. Eldwin gritted his teeth as he passed a man he thought was familiar but he didn't have time to stop and look.

Thoughts raised through his mind as he raised up the steps. Given the seizer, he didn't know if this unknown creature was messing with him or if he was having another dream. A sharp pain came into contact with his shine causing him to double over onto the stairs. He bit his lip stifling a scream not wanting to draw attention to himself. He clearly was not dreaming.

His lower leg throbbed as he remained on all fours and climbed the remanding stairs not wanting to waste time standing back up. Coming to the top of the ten stairs, he panted and reached for the doorknob. The doorknob tuned as the figure of a man's feet stood at the base. Eldwin pressed his back against the wall hoping that whoever was on the other side would not open it and squash him as if he was nothing more than a bug.

Sweat beaded up on his forehead. It felt to him as if time stood still when really it was probably no more than a few mere minutes. "Doctor Manju," a woman could be heard from the other side. "Are you sure Carley in room 510 will be all right left alone?" Eldwin let out a sigh of relief as he recognized the voice as his mother's.

"everything will be all right, Sari. You're one of my best nurses. I say that because I believe you care, worry about your patients even."

"But Doctor?"