Chapter 28

Kingsley Ford

I looked at the clock on the wall and back at the watch. Where the fuck is Layla? If she went back to her house, I won't hesitate to kick her ass. The reason why I couldn't have her going to her house is because I had to stall her, her mom wasn't ready (LOL "nooo nooo she wasn't ready"-Kevin hart). Planning a last minute party is hard work, especially a birthday party for an eighteen year old. I took a sip of my drink, trying to relax. I heard the bell on the door jingle, and saw Layla come in.

"It's about time!" I told her as she walked over to the table

"Sorry, I got stuck in traffic."

"It's fine. Here I ordered your fave, Hawaiian Breeze."

"Thanks, you're the best." She took a sip of the drink and continued talking, "have you seen Nicole?"

I took a sip of my drink and heard my phone vibrate, I looked at the screen and saw it was from Samantha.

'King, bring Layla home in about forty minutes. Make sure you guys come in through the front door and bring her to the back.'

'Got it' I texted back

I put my phone down and looked at her

"No, why?" I asked Layla.

She sighed," she hasn't been showing up to any practices-"

"What? That's not like her." I said, interrupting her

"I know! And playoffs are two months away. So coach said, if she isn't at practice by Wednesday, she's out of the playoffs."

"You're kidding, but softball is everything to her."

"I've been trying to reach her, but she's not picking up. I'm so worried about her."

"Same"

I started to slurp on my drink, I looked at the clock. Only twenty minutes passed by.

"No King, I'm really worried. On the day Ryan and Danny got into a fight, right before it, Nicole and I were in the bathroom."

"Wait, you saw her?"

She shook her head 'yes'

"Yeah, she was acting acting and saying most absurd things. I told her that we can help her, but she refused and said she can't be friends with us anymore."

"That's not like her, at all"

"The weird thing was, I felt like someone was controlling her. It was like she had no choice and was forced to say what she said."

"I agree with you. I think we should go check up on her."

"Yeah, let's go now."

Layla was getting up and I looked at my clock, shit, I have to get her home now.

"Uh, let's check up on her another time, she can wait."

Layla opened her mouth

"Let's go back to your place!" I quickly said.

Before she could object, I grabbed her hand and lead her out the door to our cars.

"You lead the way, I'll follow behind you."

"Oh, o-okay" she confusedly said.

We arrived at her house in the nick of time. I quickly got out of my car and walked steadily behind Layla. I saw her look over to me a couple of times, but I ignored it. We walked up the stairs and we reached the door. As soon as Layla opened the door, I couldn't see anything.